• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

There was a problem reading the layer data. Read the composite data instead?

New Here ,
Nov 27, 2013 Nov 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't open my psd with properly in Photoshop, it keeps showing :There was a problem reading the layer data. Read the composite data instead? 

Photoshop cc

Help please

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Discovered this issue today as well... Big file with lots of layers and folders, most of them duplicated so maybe that is the problem. Scary. It's my main design file for the work I'm doing and would die if that file died... Will keep copies in the future for sure!

Anyway, the www.photopea.com really helped for me at least. You just upload the file and save it again and you have everything back!

Close call that one... Really hope Adobe will look into it. Having stuff like this happen without a wa

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to say THANK YOU SO MUCH DRMONO!!! I seriously thought I was doomed when Photoshop refused to open a file I had with a lot (but really, not THAT many layers. I can't believe that software is free!! YOU and Photopedia are a lifesaver (and why can't Photoshop / Adobe recover these files?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me, thank you so much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uploading and downling through www.photopea.com, worked very well! Thanks alot and a friend suggested to save big files on Photoshop as PSB format known as Large Document Format

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if your file is saved with teh creative cloud documents, not to yur actual computer? As trying to download it but says file is too large?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I AM ABOUT TO LOSE IT!!!  I created a PSD file with only 5 layers. Image size A2. I'm getting the "trouble reading composite data" message on this file.  Checked the external hard drive, did a scan and no issues. Still wouldn't open. Transferred the file to another external hard drive, same issue. Have now tried to open other files, similar in size and same issue. Where's the glitch?  Is this an Adobe issue? 

Now, I've lost invaluable time trying to find a solution for this problem. 😞 😞 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Checked the external hard drive"

Don't ever save directly to an external drive. Save it to an internal hard-wired drive, then copy it over.

All it takes is to accidentally bump into something while the save is in progress, and the file can become corrupt. Just a microsecond broken connection is enough. USB3 cables and connectors have always looked very fragile to me, because the connector itself isn't very deep, and looks like it can be pushed out of position very easily. It doesn't help that the cables are usually very stiff and inflexible.

When copying to the external drive, don't move it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Where's the glitch?"

It sounds like the glitch was when you saved it to the external drive. Best practice to avoid issues is to save local and copy.

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/kb/networks-removable-media-photoshop.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, doing an artwork with around 20 layers, 475 mb, 105 x 141 cm, a lot of work to do, then photoshoop crashes and the file cannot be opened, I read the composite data message....All the work is lost.

I have gone through the messages here and tried photopea.com, amazing tool by the way, at least I could open the file...only to see it is damaged, all the layers are grey and with a lot of noise...that means all my detailed work between the laters is gone, puf...and does Photoshop offer any solution? Nope! No possibility to recover maybe previous versions or anything...the work gone. They need to take a look at this "magic dissappearances" that ruin a lot of work, and have us working double time. 

Happy to see though thay with this photopea some other people were able to recover their work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was running into this same issue. I downloaded an older version of Photoshop CC and was able to open my layered file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem has raised its ugly head again in a file in Photoshop 23.1.1.  I have a large Photoshop document with many layers and got the message "There was a problem reading the layer data. Read the composite data instead?".

After installing an older version of PS (V22.0), I could get the file to open correctly.

So, the problem appears to be a bug or limitation in 23.1.1 and not a read/write error or some other sort of hardware bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case photopea doesn't work for someone.

I had a project ( with backups ) that started refusing to open, with this error, all backups.

I copied the all the files to another drive and was able to open them without issue in an older version of Photoshop. Scary moment as this was weeks of back and forth with a client to get it just right and they need the files delivered to signage tomorrow.

I really wish Adobe made better software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines