• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to use colorisation with precision (e.g. with hex code) in Photoshop Elements 12?

Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2023 Jul 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Photoshop Elements 12. I have an image that I want to colorise to match a specific RGB/hex value, but in Photoshop, Enhance > Adjust Color > Adjust Hue/Saturation leads me to a pop-up box with sliders for hue, saturation and lightness, as shown below. It appears that it's only possible to judge by eye, which is not what I want.

Screenshot of colorisation menu.png

Following the 'Help' link takes me here but none of that seems to address my problem.

Am I stuck with just trying to use the sliders and judging the resulting colour by eye?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 01, 2023 Jul 01, 2023

@jm46235390

Try the following:

1. Go to Image>Mode and check RGB color

2. Open your file with the parchment

3. Click on your foreground color chip. For this drill, I used green color with hexadecimal value 06de23. Enter these digits in the dialog

4. Open a blank layer above the Background layer and go to Edit>fill layer>Foreground color. ok it

5. On layer 1 set blending mode to color and reduce layer opacity.

6. Below is a b/w picture colorized to suit.

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi , I've moved your post from the Photoshop forum to the Photoshop Elements forum where you are more likely to get relevant answers.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Dave, I didn't know that forum existed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jm46235390 

Are you attempting to colorize a black & white photofile? If not, please be moe specific as to your intent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, hatstead - I hadn't realised I wasn't being specific enough! I'm trying to colorise an entire photo layer. It's a photo of a piece of parchment and I want to be able to turn the whole thing blue, or red, or whatever, but using RGB or hex codes since what I'm judging by eye is turning out to be miles off when printing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is from pse 14- should be close enuff. 

2023-07-01_042151.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Glenn, I don't understand - when I use the eye dropper and then click on the foreground square to get the Color Picker box to pop up and then press F8, it produces little versions of what screens I have open, rather than the box that you got. Also, I'm not sure how I would use that box to colorise the image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't worry about the f8 thing then.   You have to realize when you talk about rgb values you are talking about the color values of just that specific point, not the entire image. 

2023-07-01_072107.png

2023-07-01_073016.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Glenn. Hatstead above pointed out that I haven't been very specific about what I'm doing, which is not to colorise a specific point but an entire photo layer. It's a photo of a piece of parchment and I want to be able to turn the whole thing blue, or red, or whatever, but using RGB or hex codes since what I'm judging by eye is turning out to be miles off when printing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you may need to explain more. You want to turn the whole thing to a particular shade? A solid block of just one colour, with no details of the original parchment? As if there was no photo of parchment at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to change parchment-coloured parchment into blue parchment, or red parchment, for instance, so that you see all the texture. Sorry that wasn't clear!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 02, 2023 Jul 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, thanks. So that means you DON'T want it all the same colour (if you think of a colour as a hex value like #ff2003). If you want to retain the texture, it has to be shades of the colour; probably the colour, and ligher and darker shades of the same colour. Now I'm with you, I see the "correct answer" talks about this. I think colorising probably is easier to understand and work with in HSB rather than RGB. Because what you want to do is preserve the hue (H) while messing with the saturation (S) and brightness (B). But it's easy enough to convert any RGB colour into the HSB equivalent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use Elements, but have you tried adding a new layer with your required colour, then setting the blend mode to color? That will use the Hue and Saturation from your fill layer and the Luminosity from the original image layer.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jm46235390

Try the following:

1. Go to Image>Mode and check RGB color

2. Open your file with the parchment

3. Click on your foreground color chip. For this drill, I used green color with hexadecimal value 06de23. Enter these digits in the dialog

4. Open a blank layer above the Background layer and go to Edit>fill layer>Foreground color. ok it

5. On layer 1 set blending mode to color and reduce layer opacity.

6. Below is a b/w picture colorized to suit.

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! That's also a very good method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dave, that words very well and is very simple! The blend modes aren't obvious and yet that one is great for this purpose. Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did this, then saw your answer.   We are saying the same thing about setting the blend mode to color. 

2023-07-01_161838.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe your aware of this but you could add a Color Fill Adjustment Layer, select your color and set the layer blending mode to Color as Dave said. The advantage of the Color Fill Adjustment Layer is you can tweak the color by double clicking on the Color Fill Layer thumbnail in the layers panel which brings up the color picker.

Layer>New Fill Layer>Solid Color

col.jpg

parch.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines