Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.mov files display with Organizer 2021

Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Organizer 2021 won't dispaly .mov files (captured with Iphone 12). Windows Photo does display them, so I guess it is not a missing codec issue.

Can you help?

Many thanks.

TOPICS
Bug , Organizer , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you talking about the thumbnail or will the video not play in the Organizer?  Or both? 

If the thumbnail is missing, try updating it, using the command Ctrl+Shift+U.

If the video doesn't play, are you getting an error message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Sorry for my late answer.

“Are you talking about the thumbnail or will the video not play in the Organizer?”

It’s both. 

Error message: "missing codec" but it's not true as Windows Photo plays the .mov videos and the the thumbnails are shown perfectly.

Best regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try refreshing a thumbnail as I suggested?

What is the format of the video file from your iPhone?  Can you attach a small sample for us to look at?

Added:  If you don't want to attach a video file, please use the free program MediaInfo to give us the details of the file.

(And in my experience,  just because one program has the codec installed to play a file doesn't mean that another program will necessarily use it.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I refreshed the thumbnails.

I attach herebelow a video file.

Thanks !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other suggestion:  Uninstall and reinstall the program.  If you have any other video players installed, they sometimes take over the codecs.  Reinstall Elements (both Photoshop and Premiere Elements if you have it) and see if it makes a difference.  And do you have Premiere Elements installed?  If so, can it play the video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm. . . .  this is really strange.  I can't even import the file into the Elements 2021 or 2022 Organizer or Premiere programs.  I am getting probably the same message as you:

Snap_2022.01.24_11h8m4s_001.png

But HEVC files from my iPhone 11 import just fine.  I have examined the properties of the video file and see nothing unusual about it.  So, I will be reporting this issue to Adobe. 

In the meantime, I suggest you use a video converter file.  I recommend a free program called Handbrake which you can use to batch convert your iPhone files to mp4 and they should import fine into the Organizer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other question - can you confirm that you were able to import all of your iPhone 12 mov files into the Organizer?  And if so, can you post a screenshot of the missing codec error message you are receiving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I am able to import my iphone12 mov files into organizer. But the thumbnail is grey, and it won't play. Attached is the error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue previewing files in organiser 23 on a new windows 11 machine, though it is only with certain *.mov files. I can watch the videos on VLC and Windows media player.

I have attached the file.

I get the below error when trying to preview

2023-01-13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Gilsworth I was able to import and play your video in the Organizer.  It is an HEVC video file.  So the first question I have to ask is whether you have installed the Microsoft HEVC Video Extension from the Microsoft Store?  I think it costs a dollar.  Once you install the extension, the file should play OK on your machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep I had done that I think before thid post, and I had either already purchased it for my old laptop or it is free in Australia. See below for how I fixed it. Not really sure what the isse was but it may well have been related to the whole iOS photo/video format thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to MediaInfo, I believe the video was generated by an iPhone 8.  So, if that is the case, I don't think it is the same problem as mentioned by @Bob27125445uvev.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg yes I had done that and I have fixed the issue by copying the affected videos (there were only about half a dozen) and then organiser found them in the watched folder and imported them again. It only seemed to affect the videos importrd in a particular window of time, maybe isomewhere n the transition to the new program and a new laptop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines