• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Elements 2018 and Windows 11 compatibility

Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2024 Jul 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions about installing Photoshop Elements 2018 on Windows 11. I am having no luck after many attempts. The latest attempt was by using the downloaded exe file rather than the DVD. Once downloaded, it claimed that it has to be unzipped but it doesn't seem to be zipped. It runs and goes nowhere. There was a suggestion to check that TLS 1.2 is enabled but I searched to see how that is done and it was no help at all. I am not a techy person and have run out of ideas. Is it actually possible to install that program on my new Windows 11 pc? Thanks for any help.

TOPICS
Download and install , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 14, 2024 Jul 14, 2024

You may need to install the Creative Cloud application before installing Photoshop Elements:
https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/creative-cloud-desktop-app-download.html

I had to install it to be able to install PSE 2018 on Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , 13 hours ago 13 hours ago

Hi Greg, I tried installing as you have suggested but still had the same problems. I then tried installing Creative Cloud and... success! The Photoshop program looks much different than it did on my old computer so there will be bit of a learning curve. Thanks very much for you help. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , 7 hours ago 7 hours ago

it states: "You'll no longer be able to access most of your favourite apps." I assume that means apps that are only available as a download rather than old paid software with a serial number.

By @Gale12

Correct. That only refers to Creative Cloud apps, not Photoshop Elements.

You can uninstall the Creative Cloud app and Photoshop Elements will continue to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was suggested that the solution might be at https://helpx.adobe.com/ca/photoshop-elements/kb/update-required.html but I think that requires input from someone who knows a lot more about windows than I do. It seems a bit extreme. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may need to install the Creative Cloud application before installing Photoshop Elements:
https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/creative-cloud-desktop-app-download.html

I had to install it to be able to install PSE 2018 on Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. That might be the answer. I'll give it a try tomorrow. My brain is fried after looking at my computer screen all day. 🫣

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let us know if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
13 hours ago 13 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! That worked! Now I just have to learn how to work with the much different version of Elements 2018. Another question: Can I cancel the subscription to Creative Cloud and still be able to use the program locally on my computer? I really don't want to upload to the cloud. Thanks so much 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
8 hours ago 8 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Gale12 

You can choose to not upload anything to the cloud.  You can also uninstall the Creative Cloud app and Photoshop Elements will continue to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Bob's suggestion doesn't work, I have the following comments:

@Gale12 said:  The latest attempt was by using the downloaded exe file rather than the DVD. Once downloaded, it claimed that it has to be unzipped but it doesn't seem to be zipped. It runs and goes nowhere. 

I just tried that myself.  The exe file is in fact a self-executing zip file.  When you double click on it, a dialog will pop up asking you where to unzip the file to.  Make your selection, click Next and the process will begin.  Be patient.  It took several minutes to unzip the files on my relatively powerful computer.

Ashampoo_Snap_Sunday, July 14, 2024_18h55m12s_multi.png

You are then given the option to start the installation or open the folder where the files were saved.  I suggest you do the latter and right-click on the Set-up.exe file and choose Run as Administrator from the context menu.

Ashampoo_Snap_Sunday, July 14, 2024_19h7m58s.png

Did you see any of the dialogs that I have shown in my screenshots?  If not, they may have been buried behind other open program windows or simply minimized on the taskbar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for the detailed explanation. I had performed all of the steps you mentioned except for the last step - Run as administrator. I will start the process again tomorrow and include the last step. I'll let you know how it goes. I think this might just do it. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
13 hours ago 13 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg, I tried installing as you have suggested but still had the same problems. I then tried installing Creative Cloud and... success! The Photoshop program looks much different than it did on my old computer so there will be bit of a learning curve. Thanks very much for you help. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
9 hours ago 9 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Creative Cloud desktop application is free to use.  Make sure that you did not sign up for a subscription.  If you did, I believe you can cancel it within 7 days, without charge.  Go to the Plans page of your Adobe account to find out if you have any subscriptions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
9 hours ago 9 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the information! Adobe does not make that obvious. I have found the location to cancel my subscription (purchased earlier today) and also the location where I can download the free version. I guess I'll just cancel paid version and then download the free version and hope that my Photoshop program still works. Does that sound right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
8 hours ago 8 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks as if it will convert to the free version, but it's a bit confusing because it states: "You'll no longer be able to access most of your favourite apps." I assume that means apps that are only available as a download rather than old paid software with a serial number. I installed from a download because the DVD install wouldn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
7 hours ago 7 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it states: "You'll no longer be able to access most of your favourite apps." I assume that means apps that are only available as a download rather than old paid software with a serial number.

By @Gale12

Correct. That only refers to Creative Cloud apps, not Photoshop Elements.

You can uninstall the Creative Cloud app and Photoshop Elements will continue to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
7 hours ago 7 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
7 hours ago 7 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines