• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSD Thumbnails Not Visable

New Here ,
Aug 19, 2017 Aug 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its annoying that when i do in Photoshop a File>Open, i cant see thumbnails for a variety of file types but none for Photoshop.

Why isnt my Photoshop 12 not able to see/present its thumbnails for the files it created?

I recall that I was able to use Bridge. But I uninstalled all the old software when i upgraded to PS12

thank you.

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 20, 2017 Aug 20, 2017

You have Photoshop Elements, not Photoshop CS or CC. I've moved this discussion to the Elements forum.

When you call up File > Open, you call up an abbreviated version of the Windows File manager, aka Explorer.

Windows does not natively render PSD thumbnails. You need third party software for that, free or paid.

This thread should list the options. Viewing PSD thumbnails...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what os?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

databaseben  wrote

Why isnt my Photoshop 12

Photoshop CS6?

Or Photoshop Elements 12?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2017 Aug 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its photoshop 12 but cant find the bit version.  i think i would of bought 64 bit since its on 64 win7 laptop.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my apologies.  here is a correction to original question/post:

It should cite "I can see thumbnails for a variety of image file types except for PSD's"   

psdproblem.GIF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have Photoshop Elements, not Photoshop CS or CC. I've moved this discussion to the Elements forum.

When you call up File > Open, you call up an abbreviated version of the Windows File manager, aka Explorer.

Windows does not natively render PSD thumbnails. You need third party software for that, free or paid.

This thread should list the options. Viewing PSD thumbnails...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh i see.  but that is ridiculous, imo, for a program that created its own files cant present its own thumbnails.

if anything, adobe bridge should be included in the package instead of us installing a third party program.

but thanks for response and explanation.

ps: is adobe bridge free for download?  if not, what version should i buy or install?  I had cs2, i think.  but decided it was too much software that I ended up not needing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

databaseben  wrote

oh i see.  but that is ridiculous, imo, for a program that created its own files cant present its own thumbnails.

if anything, adobe bridge should be included in the package instead of us installing a third party program.

but thanks for response and explanation.

ps: is adobe bridge free for download?  if not, what version should i buy or install?  I had cs2, i think.  but decided it was too much software that I ended up not needing.

Bridge is free only for the Creative Suite/Creative Cloud Adobe products. You can download it, but you need one of those to activate it.

This PSD thumbnail issue has been going on for years. For some reason under non-disclosure...Windows does not natively render PSD thumbnails. Apple's MacOS does.

Just go with Sagethumbs if you want a free, get it done answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks!  i guess i never gave this issue a second thought since i had old version of bridge installed,

but at this time im downloading the new version cc bridge.

thanks for clearing this up for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gener7  wrote

Bridge is free only for the Creative Suite/Creative Cloud Adobe products. You can download it, but you need one of those to activate it.

Read this.

It’s True: Adobe Bridge CC Is Completely Free for Everyone, for Life! | ProDesignTools

Search | Photoshop Elements & More

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the link.  i had found it yesterday via google. 

however, what i had hoped was that perhaps there was a setting to enable thumbnail views of PSD inside PS, that i might of overlooked.

obviously there are none.  adobe really needs to include a module that is like bridge with or in all of its products.

but for now, i have taken the trouble to download that mega-goliath of a program bridge, when it should just be a simple viewer.

thanks everyone for the help.

problem is solved, case is closed

🙂

~dbben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

databaseben  wrote

thanks for the link.  i had found it yesterday via google. 

however, what i had hoped was that perhaps there was a setting to enable thumbnail views of PSD inside PS, that i might of overlooked.

obviously there are none.  adobe really needs to include a module that is like bridge with or in all of its products.

but for now, i have taken the trouble to download that mega-goliath of a program bridge, when it should just be a simple viewer.

thanks everyone for the help.

problem is solved, case is closed

🙂

~dbben

As you have already read, when you use the editor with File >> Open, you are using the explorer. Microsoft no longer supplies the required codecs. You should complain to Microsoft.

Elements users taking advantage of the organizer are not concerned with that Microsoft problem. Same for Lightroom users.

If the explorer or the organizer don't fit your needs, you might try the free Faststone Image viewer which is able to display thumbnails for .psd files. No problem to use the editor as the external editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but if i am not mistaken, the photoshop module of one of the older cs's i had (maybe cs2?) the thumbnails of psd would appear on the bottom half of the explorer window via ps.

i've attached a pic from the new ps.

but in the old cs2 ps, the psd thumbnails would appear at the bottom half of this window (underneath the file type pull down bar).

psproblem.GIF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, in older versions of Photoshop and Elements, the codecs were available in the Explorer as you are showing. Don't ask me why...

What's is important in practice is to know the present workarounds and to choose according to one's preferences.

I am curious to know if the Microsoft Store version of Elements (new this year) also has that limitation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for confirming about the older version.

i wouldnt know anything about microsoft's version.   but i bet 1 billion dollars those codec's are included as a bonus.

😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

databaseben  wrote

thanks for confirming about the older version.

i wouldnt know anything about microsoft's version.   but i bet 1 billion dollars those codec's are included as a bonus.

😉

True, I don't know much about the Microsoft Store version.

- You are allowed to install in as many users as you want, not only two installs.

- there are other limitations like not being able to use Elements as external pixel editor for Lightroom.

Time will tell...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MichelBParis  wrote

Yes, in older versions of Photoshop and Elements, the codecs were available in the Explorer as you are showing. Don't ask me why...

Actually Adobe supplied a file "psicon.dll" to generate the thumbnails in the older versions. Because of problems as better explained by Chris Cox below, it was removed around Photoshop 7 and no replacement offered.

"The problem with psicon.dll is in the Microsoft supplied APIs that it uses - they sometimes leave the file open and in-use when it should not be. This caused many customers to fail when saving files because "the file is open or in-use" (ie: the shell extension tried to draw an icon for the file and left the file open). The only solution was to save to a new file, or reboot the machine and unlock the file. Unfortunately, the Microsoft API was the fault, and it could not be fixed from within the the psicon.dll shell extension itself. As a result, Adobe had to discontinue that shell extension (and several like it) to resolve the customer problems. "

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you click on the psd icon you should see the preview.

Still a pain when you have folder full of psd files.

The elements organizer shows psd files, but one needs to import the files into the organizer first.

Screenshot (3).png

Screenshot (5).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, thanks!

i'll check that sneaky feature out !

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MichelBParis  wrote

As you have already read, when you use the editor with File >> Open, you are using the explorer. Microsoft no longer supplies the required codecs. You should complain to Microsoft.

Actually I did bring it to their attention in 2009. The thread is interesting, and to this day Windows still does not support PSD thumbs natively. Basically MSFT says "talk to Adobe" or use a codec. They are not interested in addressing it further.

Why can't PSD thumbnails be displayed in Windows 7? - Microsoft Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the fyi.

ultimately, there is little any of us can do to persuade mega-corporations to consider improvements here and or there.

but if they do, i know for a fact that the contributors of good ideas or workarounds are not honorably rewarded.

instead the ideas are package up and sold for profit.

so while i admire people that provide feedback to corporations, i wouldnt waste my valuable time.

and i no longer do or will !

in the end, when the world famous mega goliath corporation like adobe cant incorporate a very very simple viewer in order for its loyal customers to see their hard work via the program that created it, then it has gotten too big.

thanks everyone, for your input and feed back. 

this is an interesting thread, indeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

databaseben  wrote

so while i admire people that provide feedback to corporations, i wouldnt waste my valuable time.

and i no longer do or will !

People who volunteer to participate in such user to user as this one, or to feedback forums, mostly do it to help other users if they don't come only for help. Their reward may be simply to have been helpful to other users; also, you don't imagine how much you can learn by participating and following such forums! Thinking you are mostly giving brillant ideas for free to big companies is very naive.

By the way, you have been very helpful to many users in that conversation, thank you.

databaseben  wrote

in the end, when the world famous mega goliath corporation like adobe cant incorporate a very very simple viewer in order for its loyal customers to see their hard work via the program that created it, then it has gotten too big.

The very simple viewer (free and very powerful too) is the organizer. I love it. If you don't, it's your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have no complaints about the organizer.  but i had forgotten about it.  if i had, i would not of bothered with installing bridge.

but i'm in a middle of a project right now and will use bridge in the interim.

how-everrrrrr, i am not sure why we dont have the simple option to enable the organizer via menu>file>organizer instead of file>open>windowsexplorer?

i'm pretty sure microsoft doesnt have copyright protection on file menu options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines