• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

question mark

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2024 Apr 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, whilst downloading my photos from a safe card reader I see the question mark appear on every photo i  open? I know what the question mark means but dont know why it has appeared whilst downloading?? Now, ANY photo I open has the question mark? I dont understand as I havnt done anything to any of the new photos. Please help, Im concerned Ive suddenly lost many photos.

TOPICS
Download and install , Mac , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Elements are you using? And what Mac OS? 

Where are you storing the photos that have what I assume is  the missing file question mark?

Since I know almost nothing about Macs, I'm going to ping @Jeff Arola, another community expert who will be able to help with Mac-specific issues.  (I'm guessing it is some kind of file permissions/access issue but we need more details of what you are doing that may have changed.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Elements 2022
Normally I put them in downloads or other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go to the file info panel and click on the location link for the missing file, does the folder where the file is supposed to be open?  And is it there?  This is the location where the Organizer catalog thinks the file should be. 

Ashampoo Snap 16_Monday, April 8, 2024_13h35m47s_1.png

If you have moved or renamed the file outside of the Organizer, after importing it into the catalog, the file will be considered missing.  All file management (move, delete, rename) must take place in the Organizer.  Does this explain what might have happened to your files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2024 Apr 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou, I will try this and let you know the result. Would that have a
bearing on older photos? I have hundreds of photos, some are years old,
and have never had issues with them until I downloaded my latest photos?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photos become missing in the Organizer whenever they are moved, renamed or deleted outside of the program. The Organizer is simply a database that keeps track of where you store them.  If you change the manner of storage, the Organizer will lose track.  I believe I have also seen problems with Macs when the OS has changed and file permissions get altered.  Hopefully, @Jeff Arola will come by this discussion and give you better information than I can provide about your Mac machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess the first thing to do is check the photos where they are stored on your drive and make sure they are there and not corrupted.

Try opening some of them in the Photoshop Elements Editor.

Your catalog could have gotton corrupted, but that doesn't affect the actual photos, just the Organizer keeping track of them.

The Organizer doesn't actually physically store any of your photos, it's catalog is a database that tells the Organizer where on your drive the photos are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I’ve opened lots of photos old and new , every one gives the drop down
message saying missing files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I mean opening any of the files in question directly into the Photoshop Elements editor using File>Open.

filop.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines