• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Surface 4 Pen not working correctly with Adobe Elements 15 after recent windows 10 update

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently updated my windows 10 surface pro 4 and afterwards the pen will not draw on the application. The pen is working correctly however as I was able to use it in other applications fine, like paint, and word etc. Not sure how to correct?

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Here is the resolution put out by Microsoft. It was an issue on their end, not adobe's

Unexpected panning or scrolling in some apps with pen after applying - Microsoft Community

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try updating or rolling back the pen's driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem with Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 after the latest update, I tried updating the driver but it told me I had the most updated driver, I also tried rolling it back but windows would not do it (the button was grayed out).  I tried doing a system restore as well but that did not help.

The pen is working find in terms of pressing buttons or using the toolbar in Photoshop, it is only the actual draw functions that are not working at all.  In fact, when I zoom in and try to draw, it moves the picture around as if I were using the hand tool (does not do that when I am zoomed out, though).

*Edit:  I just found out the pen will draw in Photoshop if I double-click with the pen at the point I want to start drawing.  It was never like this before and is really annoying, as I have to double-click every time the pen leaves the screen to start drawing again.  How do I return the settings to what they were before the Fall Creators update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also spent the last two hours working with Microsoft live chat and they were not able to fix the problem as this problem does not appear when I use Paint or other programs, only when using any of the options in Photoshop (brush, erase, select, etc.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop 11 and it still has the same problem, so that didn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest suggestion from Microsoft is to uninstall/reinstall the Surface 4 pen driver, but I didn't want to do that if unnecessary, so I asked advice elsewhere, and was told that the update probably broke the interaction between the driver and the OS, so reinstalling the driver won't help, we need a fix either from Adobe or from Microsoft, otherwise the only option is to roll back the latest Microsoft Fall Creators update  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2017 Nov 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Incidentally, the Surface pen works fine in Corel Paintshop, so I guess it's time for me to start learning how to use that program instead unless Adobe and Microsoft get their acts together...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's exactly what I did!!!! I think it's time to say goodbye for Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has been nearly three months, I have religiously updated windows as required and checked for photoshop updates, and there is still no fix for this problem, both on this forum or on Microsoft.  What is the point of paying for a program that doesn't work right anymore?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG i have needed days and days to find another person with the same problem!!! I have the same stupid issue, exactly the same!!! since the last stupid update they forced me to do, the pencil Works exactly how you descrived! what can we do to fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could go back to normal only by eliminating the last update. At least it works as it used to. thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with photoshop elements 14, I need to press the pen button to get the software to draw; all the rest works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

allent77239954 michell27468387 wesl59662816 i'm having the same problem now too with my surface, did you guys find any solutions for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it seems as if Adobe Photoshop wants to condemned us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So annoying! I'm going to keep searching for a solution, if i find anything I'll come back to this thread and let you guys know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue as well every time I need to draw I would have to press the button on the surface pen and it is getting really annoying. This has never happened before. Yes I have a Surface Pro 4 and using Photoshop Element 14. If I do not press the button on the pen the it Scrolls either up or down depending on which way the pen is moving. I have tested the pen on other applications such as paint and other apps and it works just fine, without pressing the button on the pen. This began to make me think that there is some issue with the software and Adobe needs to get this corrected immediately. We are unable to work and do our jobs. Please take care of your customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2017 Nov 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe please listen to your customers we are crying for help you need to get this corrected immediately. Again the issue is that since the update we are unable to draw like how we normally do. What's going on is that we would have to press the stupid button on the pen to be able to draw which is so fugging annoying!!!!!!!! Most likely this will lead to many people leaving this program for another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2018 Jan 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. As soon as I start using Adobe Premiere Pro CC (latest) within a few minutes the tip of my new surface pen stops responding (the pen button still works, battery 98%). Then I immediately revert to using my fingers for touchscreen input and after a few mins the touchscreen stops working and then only the trackpad now works. And the only way i can get touch and pen working is to reboot. So I am unable to use Adobe Premiere Pro CC because both pen and touchscreen freeze when using it. I'm on a new Microsoft Surfacebook 2 i7 16GB, and this problem only happens when using Adobe, pen and touch work as desired otherwise. If it's not resolved I will have no choice but to find another program as it's a big bug, which is a big timewaster, rebooting constantly etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone found a resolve??

I found that pressing the side button allows brush to behave normally, also double tap.  Still frustrating & isn't fluid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is their way of making us by their new products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using their new products doesn't help either, the same issue exists with Photoshop CC 2018, cannot draw anything, it just moves the canvas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Low and behold. As I was working on this issue, I got a notice of an Adobe update for PSE14. I ran the update, rebooted, and my stylus now works. I'm not sure if the update was independent or if it was because I had uninstalled and reinstalled PSE a few days ago. My current PSE version is 14.1 20151206.m.83730.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't believe this issue is still going on...but I've read through the majority of comments since I just did the Win10 update today (not even 3 hours ago) Noticed my pen was doing everything mentioned here and said...NOPE. Bye Win10 Update! I cannot press the "Right CLick Button" (I mean COME ON it has one function how did it switch with an update just for Photoshop (as far as I know))

So I unintstalled the update and PRESTO, back to normalcy with the pen.

I just used the search in Settings; View my Update History and it gave me the option to unistall it. Not sure if it will work for those who have been in the update for a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rolling back Windows 10 updates is not acceptable if you ask me. I have already cancelled all my adobe subscriptions because of this specific issue. They didn't care when I cancelled and do not care for there customers at all. This was raised like 5 months ago +. So don't buy any adobe products unless you are actually happy with the touch screen being disabled after 5 mins of using adobe products, and you are actually happy with doing a full reboot to restore the touch screen and pen. It's much easier for adobe just to loose customers and cancel their subscriptions, rather than to provide any customer support. Not even an offer of compensation, discounts or alike were offered when I cancelled my subscription. Horrible customer service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cancelled as well, it's completely unacceptable for this problem to go on for so long. I will not roll back to a previous version of windows because of an issue like this. Instead I've found a different program that works good enough, and works just fine with my pen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines