Highlighted

3D camera position animation (timeline) not working the same when in 3D layer

Participant ,
Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Photoshop CC 2017, and when I create a 3D animation using keyframes on the video timeline, the camera position animation is not updating as I play or drag the playhead. If I animate the 3D bject itself, it works, but if I animate the camera, it's not following the playhead movements (pressing the play button or just dragging the playhead back and forth). The view updates as soon as I release the playhead, but not while I drag it (It's not a pre-rendering issue where it plays smooth the 2nd time around - it's the same every time I try it).

The weird thing is that if I select a not-3D layer, and then drag the playhead or press play, the camera animation plays ok. Of course, is a rough preview, but it does update in real time. Still, as soon as I select the 3D layer again, the same problem is back: the object animation plays, but the camera animation doesn't. Since this is a bit confusing to explain, I've recorded a small video showing what I mean with a simple cube:

3D Camera animation only plays from not-3D layer? - YouTube

I've seen video tutorials where this is not happening, but so far the ones I've seen were recorded using previous versions of Photoshop, so I don't know if something could have changed in recent versions. I've tried doing the same in 3 different systems (all of them Windows 10 machines with different specs), with the same results.

Any help would be much appreciated!! Thanks a lot.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by davescm | Adobe Community Professional

Carlos

I have raised the issue on the forum below where it is more likely to be seen by Adobe.

3D animation issue CC2017 | Photoshop Family Customer Community

You may wish to add your own comments

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

3D camera position animation (timeline) not working the same when in 3D layer

Participant ,
Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Photoshop CC 2017, and when I create a 3D animation using keyframes on the video timeline, the camera position animation is not updating as I play or drag the playhead. If I animate the 3D bject itself, it works, but if I animate the camera, it's not following the playhead movements (pressing the play button or just dragging the playhead back and forth). The view updates as soon as I release the playhead, but not while I drag it (It's not a pre-rendering issue where it plays smooth the 2nd time around - it's the same every time I try it).

The weird thing is that if I select a not-3D layer, and then drag the playhead or press play, the camera animation plays ok. Of course, is a rough preview, but it does update in real time. Still, as soon as I select the 3D layer again, the same problem is back: the object animation plays, but the camera animation doesn't. Since this is a bit confusing to explain, I've recorded a small video showing what I mean with a simple cube:

3D Camera animation only plays from not-3D layer? - YouTube

I've seen video tutorials where this is not happening, but so far the ones I've seen were recorded using previous versions of Photoshop, so I don't know if something could have changed in recent versions. I've tried doing the same in 3 different systems (all of them Windows 10 machines with different specs), with the same results.

Any help would be much appreciated!! Thanks a lot.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by davescm | Adobe Community Professional

Carlos

I have raised the issue on the forum below where it is more likely to be seen by Adobe.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carlos - When I try to view your video I get a message saying "This Video is Private"

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops sorry, you're right, it's fixed now. Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok - I've just tried this in 3 versions.

CC 2015.5.1 and CC2017 both show the symptom you are seeing

CS6 does not - the camera moves in the same way as objects do.

Unless anyone else can suggest a "setting" that we are missing I will raise as a bug on the community forum

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carlos

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, I was not expecting such quickness and efficiency! Triple-checked in 3 versions and bug report already posted... if you're ever close to Barcelona, let me know and I'll pay you a beer!

I was under the impression that it worked ok in previous versions but I could only check 2015.5.2 besides 2017. It's great that you could check in CS6. I will add my comment to your post.

Dave, you've been very kind to bother and take the time to check this issue, it's really appreciated, thanks a lot!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines