Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

3D reflection tool missing in Photoshop 2020

New Here ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I'm trying to edit text in 3D and I want to get a reflection effect on the writing but the reflection option is missing from the materials adjustments? I've got the latest version so I'm confused as to why this is missing from the materials options. I haven't used Photoshop 3D much but I've followed a tutorial and it's still not showing, I want my text to have a reflective chrome texture to itScreen Shot 2020-01-13 at 14.37.34.png😞 If someone can help me to be able to find it I would really appreciate it!

Many thanks, 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The materials system has changed to a PBR Metallic/Roughness system which more closely matches Dimension. You make something reflective with a combination of Roughness (low) and possibly metallic (0 for non metals 100 for metals). So for Chrome you need a light grey base colour, very low roughness (0-5%) and metallic at 100%.  Remember you have to put something else in a scene for a reflective surface to reflect

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave thank you for your help!

I wanted it to reflect the background I have on it now, to get the colour combination onto the text but as a chrome like texture but even though I've set the IBL as this background the text isn't reflecting it. And I've done what you have said and still the same, 

I might download an older version instead. 

Many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The idea of changing the materials to match the PBR metallic/roughness workflow is good but some bugs have crept in. For example the GPU preview rendering sometimes shows reverse lighting, and IBL reflections are unpredictable. So it's a bit of a "work in progress" in my view.

Until they are fixed, you are still able to install the previous version alongside the new and use it for 3D although, to be honest, if you are intending to do a lot of 3D work , I would advise using a proper 3D application such as Blender. Alternatively you you export your text extrusion as an obj file then import that to Adobe Dimension and add the materials and lighting there.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are we getting a fix for this? It seems that reflection was removed from the UI but it is still there. I cannot remove reflection in some materials. For example, try applying any of the presets that have reflection and zero out all the values. Specularity will differ among all of them even though all the parameters are exactly the same. This is because there is a reflection parameter that is inaccessible from the UI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In a PBR metallic/roughness workflow you do not have a reflection property.

Reflection is a function of roughness and the way in which light is reflected depends whether the surface is metallic or dielectric (Metallic 100% or 0%).

However, the implementation in Photoshop is flaky and the metallic and roughness sliders do not produce expected results.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines