Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Actions: file/folder not found suggestion

Engaged ,
Feb 22, 2020 Feb 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I would like to know if Adobe has a place where we can suggest new features and report bugs, besides the community here?

In many years of using Photoshop, it's a bit hard to believe that no one there ever thought that having the original file/folder name next to a broken step wasn't a good feature. I have many actions that won't play, because I moved the files/folders, but I also have no idea what those files/folders were. 

Here's what I thought it would make sense to have. Just a simple feature that could save us all so much time and work:

Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 9.37.08 AM.png

What do you think? And where can I suggest this?

Thank you!

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You can use the Adobe Feedback Forum for bug reports/suggestions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Done! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If an Action has an interactive open Action step there is no original file any file can be open.  If an Action Opens a file the file that is opened is recorder in the action step.  The Path and File is recorded into the action step. Action step have recorded settings.

image.png

If the Raw file or the PNG file is moved, deleted or renamed the Open steps will fail because the files path and file name no longer exists.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

image.png

The problem is you are not showing the settings recorded for the open step.  Open Steps record like this:

image.png

File or Folder not found is not something the Action recorder records into an action step 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I record the action it shows me the path and file name. 

Now try to move that file to a different location and you will get the File or Folder Not Found. 

And that's where I think Photoshop is "broken".

Photoshop should save that information and say "File or Folder not found. Original path and file name: /folderX/folderY/filename.jpg".

That way we would be able to know what file/folder is trying to open. If I go back to an action I created 5 years ago, it's hard to remember what Photoshop is trying to open. Maybe I still have that file, but it's just in a different location. If I knew the name of the file and its original path, I could at least remember what I was trying to achieve.

As a musician and producer, when I use Logic Pro and there's a missing file, it shows us that information:

KS54Vf3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the Action failed the Step that failed should be highlighted in the Action Palette panel in the failing Action and should contain the files that can not be found for it has been delete, moved or renamed.

I find the Action Step open a file Open Dialog   The Action step is highlighted you cans see the filename and you can search or navafate to it,. Select a different file or cancel the Open dialog. Here I renamed my png file this is what I see

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird... I created a test action and indeed it shows the file that was supposed to open and it shows me the "Open" window for me to pick the file... but that didn't happen with those other actions I had where the File or Folder Not Found warning...

I wonder what happened with those other actions, because I definitely did the same thing on both

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I found the problem:

If I change the name of the folder, it will show me that warning. If I only rename, move or delete the file, it shows me the original path. So I still think that Photoshop is still 50% broken when it comes to this.

It should show the original path, regardless of the folder not existing anymore. It should record that as a normal text information and show it to us so we could locate that file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your delete, rename or move brakes the action actions look in the mirror plead gulity.  Please showe me the open step the has a recorded files name with no device path. Here I renamed the folder Temp  to TempFolder the step shows me temp the In the Open dialog I see TempFolder I did not get a warning I get an open dialog as before.

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 4.06.00 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-02-22 at 4.06.28 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you get the screenshot with the inscription in the panel "File or folder not found."?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just renamed the folder from "Temp" to "TempRenamed". Look at both screenshots. The paths at the bottom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You renamed the file (folder) and did not start the Action and the inscription with the path changed in it?
What a nonsense. If this happens on the MAC, then this is complete nonsense.
Let’s say I have 100,000 Actions, and each one contains a path, possibly a network one and a long-existing one.
Should Photoshop spend time studying each of these 100,000 files? Nonsense, and only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using a Mac?  I use Windows That may be a Mac issue if you are using a Mac.  It look like you are using a Mac from your screen captures.

Renameing a file or folder should  rerecord and Action steps.  How would any File system even know   that Photoshop Actions exist that have the filename recorded into steps.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. You can see it on the screenshots 🙂
Maybe it's a Mac issue... who knows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You could try to report this as a Photoshop Mac bug.  Mac Photoshop should not change Actions when files are not found for you are playing the action not recording the Action Step should have what you recorded not be changed to a vage message that does not state what file was not found.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines