• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding a stroke to a frame layer (CC 2019)

Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2018 Oct 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I add a stroke to a frame layer I created with the frame tool? I'm only able to add the stroke to the contents inside of the frame but not the frame itself. Is this not possible or am I missing something?

frame stroke.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Oct 28, 2018 Oct 28, 2018

Hi, Select the frame tool and Go to properties (Go to Window>Properties) and turn on the stroke option and fil your color and increase the value according to your need.

Screenshot_1.png

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Select the frame tool and Go to properties (Go to Window>Properties) and turn on the stroke option and fil your color and increase the value according to your need.

Screenshot_1.png

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to add other layer styles like a drop shadow to a frame?

Edit: The only way I've been able to add layer styles to frame layers is to put the frame layer inside of a group then apply the layer style to the group:

frame layer styles.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, No  it is not possible to apply layer styles on frame. For that you have to use old method.

Clipping mask method to use as a frame and add layer styles on clipping mask.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, It is applied on the image not on frame. If you remove the image then you will not be able to see the shadows or other layer styles.

PS. Its a kinda hack you can use it but actually it is not applied on the frame.

Check this out. It only applied on the image not on frame.

Screenshot_4.png

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 18, 2019 Sep 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Ah I didn't thought it was in the property panel at the first place. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Frame layers are a strange  Photoshop layer. Adobe State that Frames are like a mask and they are depicted like a backwards layer where the Frame mask is on the Left and the Layer Content on the Right.  A Frame mask  does not mask like a normal layer mask or a vector layer mask and you can not add a normal or vector mask to a Frame layer.  If you add layers style the way the effects are generated may not be what you expect.  Though you can add layer styles they most likely will not be the effects you may be expecting.

Also if the image you place in has transparent boarders they will most likely be trimmed off by Photoshop's Place feature when Photoshop renders pixels for the smart object layers content. So the Image may not be position like you expect it to be.  Copy Paste has the same Trim boarders problem.  The way I get around this is I put a 1% opacity pixel in the top left and bottom right corners of the Image canvas to eliminate transparent borders with two pixel the human eye I will not see.

Capture.jpg

The Transparent Border thing.  Here I use two different JJMack png files with transparent boarders one with the 1% opaque corner pixels the other one did not the PNG files are the same size and resolution, Frames created two differen size smart object layers

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also notove the the Propertis panel get messed up when you edidit the smart object  show the pixels size of width and height as "in" not px.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines