Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding a text into .tif file

Contributor ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning everyone!

I have a .tif file to which i'd like to add a text layer to a tif file.

I notice background layer is locked and I can't unlock it, can you suggest me how to perform this?

I attach the drawing. Compared to the original file, i removed some sensitive data and saved with ZIP compression

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

The cause is your tif is in the Bitmap Color Mode that doesn't support layers.

In order to add an editable text layer the Color Mode needs to changed Grayscale or RGB Color for text with color.

Image>Mode in photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the Type tool "T" and click in the document. Type across the dummy text to replace it and format it in the options bar or Character and Paragraph panels. Accept the the text by clicking the checkbox in the options bar.

You don't need to unlock the background layer to type text as it will create a new layer, but to unlock it, click the lock icon.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is that after i accepted the text, I can't modify it anymore.

A new layer is not created and I also can't in my own, since the buttons are greyed out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show a screenshot of your full screen including the toolbar, options bar and layers panel as you try to add text

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What color mode are you in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The cause is your tif is in the Bitmap Color Mode that doesn't support layers.

In order to add an editable text layer the Color Mode needs to changed Grayscale or RGB Color for text with color.

Image>Mode in photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok it works, thanks.

but when i'm going to save, I will find that the size has been increased tenfold. Even with ZIP compression.

Is it normal?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes that is normal for 8bpc vs. 1 bpc. For flexibility keep a layered version and then create a second flattened vermin converted to bitmap mode using 50% threshold conversion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines