Highlighted

Adding multiple gradients to a layer

New Here ,
Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently running PS 2020 on Windows 10. In the past, I could use the gradient tool to add multiple gradients to a layer. Now every time I use the tool more than once on the same layer, it erases the previous gradient and leaves only the most recent one. Is there any way I can correct this? Or do I have to add a new layer for every individual gradient I apply? 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by davescm | Adobe Community Professional

Hi

Either, set a blend mode for the gradient tool or apply each gradient to a new layer and blend/mask the layers. I would always go for the latter (separate layers) as it is easy to make alterations later.

Dave

TOPICS
How to, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Adding multiple gradients to a layer

New Here ,
Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently running PS 2020 on Windows 10. In the past, I could use the gradient tool to add multiple gradients to a layer. Now every time I use the tool more than once on the same layer, it erases the previous gradient and leaves only the most recent one. Is there any way I can correct this? Or do I have to add a new layer for every individual gradient I apply? 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by davescm | Adobe Community Professional

Hi

Either, set a blend mode for the gradient tool or apply each gradient to a new layer and blend/mask the layers. I would always go for the latter (separate layers) as it is easy to make alterations later.

Dave

TOPICS
How to, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 24, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 24, 2019 2
Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The gradients need to go from the hue/color to transparent and not color to color. For example, use Black to Transparent and not Black to White

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 24, 2019 0
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey, set the mode of gradient TO MULTIPLE. I faced the same issue on PS2020 and it worked! It will allow you to apply many gradients  without creating new layers and blending them later.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2020 0
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what the first reply , given back in 2019, says "....set a blend mode for the gradient tool..."  🙂

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2020 1
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you help me with this problem ? I am facing the same issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2020 0
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have the same issue does the answer given earlier help i.e. either, set a blend mode for the gradient tool or apply each gradient to a new layer and blend/mask the layers?  I would always go for the latter (separate layers) as it is easy to make alterations later.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I'd like to do is file a class action lawsuit on Adobe for forcing us into program changes that take hours of our time to re-learn how to do simple things. It's absurd how complex they made making a simple gradient.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2020 0
Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What changes? Making a gradient is as simple as it always was.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 13, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to do a gradient to transparent, I suddenly can't do multiple gradients on the same image b/c every time I try, the second one cancels the first one. In other words, if I do a gradient to transparent on the left side of an image and then do a second one on the right side, the left side gradient is reset to the way it orginally was and only the right side gradient appears.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 15, 2020 0
davescm LATEST
Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So when making multiple gradients the answer is as above - use blend modes on the gradient tool to combine the second gradient with the first.

This has not changed , it has always worked this way.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 15, 2020 0