• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adjustment layers become corrupted with "blocks"

Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having ongoing problems with adjustment layers becoming corrupted and not displaying properly. After working on an image for a while - it never happens straight off - one or more layers will appear as though the mask on the adjustment layer is made up of 'blocks', either hiding or showing the adjustment layer. Please see the attached screenshot to see the problem.

screenshot image.jpg

You can see that the 'blocks' also appear on the adjustment mask themselves.

Screenshot layers.jpg

If I zoom in, the blocks on the mask will disappear, along with their effect on the image itself, and the masks will display as they actually should do. But, when I zoom back out, the blocks reappear. 

Sometimes the pattern of the blocks will change when zooming back out; sometimes they stay the same. 

If I purge the history, the blocks remain. 

If I save and close the image whilst the blocks are displayed,  then re-open the image, the actual mask will return to normal and the blocks will have disappeared, but it's a pain to keep doing this, especially when working on large files. 

For a long time, I wondered if it was a problem with the GPU, but I have recently updated the GPU and the problem remains.

It has also remained through PS updates and also OS X updates. Finally, I recently did a clean install of OS X on a brand new hard drive, and installed PS first jus to test for this problem. Hey presto, the problem was still there!! 

Any help will be most welcome as I'm flummoxed!

 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does turning on (or off, depending on the current settings) Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Legacy Compositing and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue? 

Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences (Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphic Processor Settings) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestions. Legacy Compositing was turned on as was Use Graphics Processor.

I'll give both options a try over the next few days and see if they make any difference. One other annoying thing about the problem is that it is intermittent, so it may take a little time to track down what is causing the problem.

I use to suspect it was a GPU related problem, but the fact that it has happened with two (very) different GPUs has sort of ruled it out, in my mind anyway. Could always be wrong. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To make sure try disabling Photoshop’s GPU usage. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off Legacy Compositing seems to have done the trick. I have kept Use Graphics Processor switched on because I want the performance, and thus far, touch wood, all seems okay. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your exact Photoshop version? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines