• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ARC 12.2 is missing ISO specific camera default settings

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the last update of the ARC I lost all my camera and ISO specific defaults. Reading this blog   I found out that there was no longer need for this because Adobe decided it is for the best not to have this feature anymore. I am wondering if the company is still working with professional photographers or that the common/amateur customers are the new business target. As a professional I would like to choose my own setting instead of counting on the way the developpers at Adobe think we should process our files. Of course it takes a while to set up a goed profiling system (including camera ISO specific calibation, sharpening, lens profile etc.) for every ISO of your camera. I can understand that this process is taking too much time and effort is you're not working professionally. But I think as a pro you really would like to create your own workflow and setting, like we were used to do in the previous ARC (files loading directly with the right camera profile, lens profile, noise cancellation etc).

Is there a way around this amateuristic way of dealing with files? It feels like we also can use our mobile phones for shooting photo's. In your phone the manufacturer already has decided how the pictures are suppoost to look (portret softening, pushing saturation and so on). Please can anybody help me to finetune my own workflow like it was before the last update?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

They have changed the way you create them and save them. They have not been completely removed.

Yes it is more work for you now, at first, but once created they don't need to be recreated.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-how-to-configure-default-settings-for-importing-raw-files/td-p/10925693?page=1

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/using/whats-new/2020.html#raw_default_settings

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

You still do need ISO specific defaults. Camera settings will (as yet) only transfer for Nikon Z-series cameras. For other cameras there is no automatic noise reduction for high ISO files. At least there isn't for my Nikon D810/D800/Sony a7rII.

It is still possible, but it requires editing an xmp preset, inserting the following block (this is a random example). Set up this way, it will interpolate the intermediate steps. This is right at the end of the xmp:

iso2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They have changed the way you create them and save them. They have not been completely removed.

Yes it is more work for you now, at first, but once created they don't need to be recreated.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-how-to-configure-default-settings...

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/using/whats-new/2020.html#raw_default_settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is Lightroom specific? Or does it also work in PS? I tried to create a customized camera default setting like before but it seems some of the corrections are not in the tool panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I beleive any Camera Specific Default settings are saved in a XMP file format that is shared, saved in a folder, that both CR built into LR and the stand alone CR plugin used by Bridge and PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before stating it's amateuristic, maybe you would consider making some tests to see how Adobe noise profiles now work and if you really do need ISO specific defaults. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course I understand the noise profiles will work in general. My point is not that the way they configure their file handling. It is about creating my own to my liking. Leaving your own taste of how a picture you create should look like up to a company and a default setting will not produce the photo YOU want to show. For example I do not mind noise as long as I choose how much and more or less colourfull.

To me it feels more or less as paint by numbers... just follow the instructions and everyone gets a result.

So I understand the choice the company made but I really like to make my own choices in processing my images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You still do need ISO specific defaults. Camera settings will (as yet) only transfer for Nikon Z-series cameras. For other cameras there is no automatic noise reduction for high ISO files. At least there isn't for my Nikon D810/D800/Sony a7rII.

It is still possible, but it requires editing an xmp preset, inserting the following block (this is a random example). Set up this way, it will interpolate the intermediate steps. This is right at the end of the xmp:

iso2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, this looks very promising. If I follow your guidelines I assume that between the crs:ISODepentent and  /crs:ISODepentent  I can put any variable that could be ISO dependent like different camera ISO dependent colour profiles. I will start putting a new XMP-file together and I'll keep you posted with the results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can find example files here, and copy directly from them:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/raw-defaults.html 

The actual values can be changed to whatever you want, of course.

I just took an existing preset that I wanted to use as default, opened it in notepad, and added the relevant section at the designated place at the end. It's important that you insert it directly before the </rdf:Description> line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines