Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bugs: change file name or folder name in Finder when Photoshop file is open

Enthusiast ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A pair of bugs in Photoshop 21.2 under MacOS 10.14.6:

If you open a file and either rename the file or rename the folder it is in, Photoshop does the wrong thing.

1) Open a file named, say, test.tif. Make a change in the file. Go to Finder and rename the file. Return to Photoshop and save, and the file test.tif will be created, and the renamed file will remain as copy of test.tif before the changes were made.

2) Open test.tif. Make a change in the file. Go to Finder and rename the folder that the file is in. Return to Photoshop and save. Photoshop will put an error "Could not complete the Save command because of a disk error." Then Photoshop will hang at 0% saved and you have to force-quit Photoshop. After defibrilation of your heart because you think your disk is failing, you figure out the bug.

AFAICT, none or nearly no other Macintosh programs have bugs like this. They recognize what has happened and they deal with intelligently. But I suspect that this code is so deeply embedded in Photoshop that it is fruitless to request a fix, and the work-around is obvious (if you remember that your file is open in Photoshop).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello future life savers-
I run a Mac on the latest version of PS. (21.2) 
I have been doing most of my editing in LR, then opening up any JPEGs and making small changes to those if needed. (If there is an easier/ better way of saving please let me know I'm all ears).
Currently when making minor changes to a JPEG, trying to save the file under the same filename I am getting
"Could not complete the Save command because of a disk error." and after I click Okay to that, I get-
"Can't save "file name" due to program error."

Willing to sell my kidney to get this sorted, it has been driving me batty. 
Currently I am saving the files to a different folder under a different name and it is working just fine- just very time consuming. 
I save to an external hardrive. I am not sure if my scratch disk is the issue? I'm clueless. 

I have tried changing my preferences to "Legacy Compositing" and restarting as I saw that in a previous thred and that did not help. 

Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hopefully by now you have figured out that posting a new question in a reply to a different question is a poor way of getting an answer.

I think that there was a bug for a while in Lightroom Classic for Macintosh where files could not be created on some external disks. The solution was to, by hand, create a new folder on that disk and after that Lightroom would behave. But it is so many years ago I ran into this problem, I may have gotten every part of this story wrong. However, it might be worth a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines