• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't unlock a layer?

Engaged ,
Nov 25, 2013 Nov 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello:                                                                                     Windows 8 64bit - Ps CC

i have an image from a client and it's just one Layer but it's locked and i would like to be able to unlock it and also to add a new layer above it which i am also unable to do.

any ideas why this is?

i know i can re-save it so that i can add a new Layer at least but i am still curious as to why i can't unlock the Layer.

also, i am building a package of images to sell.  I have Locked the Layers but still want the people that (hopefully) buy them to be able to unlock them -

is this not something i can do? must i leave all Layers unlocked? for the most part i have only done so to keep particular aspects of the images safe from being altered by new users of photoshop etc.

thank you for your time, help and suggestions.

happy holidays

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 12, 2014 Mar 12, 2014

Photoshop can definitely get hung up at time.  I think I have come across it at least three or four times.  What I do I select all the layers > right click > chose Duplicate, and New from the drop down.  It has always worked for me.

Or you could Select all the layers, and right click and make into a Smart Object.  Double click the SO to open it in a new window, and save that new window as a new document.  That one has just occurred to me, and I have not actually tried it.  That is to say I know y

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jul 08, 2014 Jul 08, 2014

I've also ran into this several times, and it usually has something to do with what Mode the image is in. So be sure to check Image > Mode and be sure you're working in an editable mode (usually RGB or CMYK). Switching to one of those modes should allow you to unlock as normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is a background layer it will always be partially locked for the Photoshop Background layer does not support transparency. Therefore Transparency is always locked on the bottom Photoshop Background layer. Also no layer can be moved below it and if its the only layer its visibility can not be turned off.  Photoshop background layer is a special layer. One is nor required in a document and you can convert a background layer to a normal layer and unlock it.

You should be able to add a layer above it not one below it. Try Shift+Ctrl+Alt+N

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you JJ -

i will try your suggestions tomorrow as i'm quite tired now and turn'n in for the nite. thank you for your time!

i'll be back tomorrow to let you know how things go.

thanx again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 12, 2014 Mar 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey JJ,

i'm sorry, i forgot about having asked this question.

Thank you for your answer. I appreciate your time.

i still have no idea why my clients image wouldn't unlock or allow me to add a new layer above. it's a mystery.

i just ended up resaving the image which allowed me to add a new layer above it but i still couldn't unlock the layer.

thanx again!! i always appreciate your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2014 Mar 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop can definitely get hung up at time.  I think I have come across it at least three or four times.  What I do I select all the layers > right click > chose Duplicate, and New from the drop down.  It has always worked for me.

Or you could Select all the layers, and right click and make into a Smart Object.  Double click the SO to open it in a new window, and save that new window as a new document.  That one has just occurred to me, and I have not actually tried it.  That is to say I know you can save an SO as a new document, but not f it will free up frozen layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2014 Jul 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you are absolutely right Trevor Dennis.  Just tried everything and only your "convert to smart object" solution worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2015 Feb 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS WAS CERTAINLY THE FIX! THANKS!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2014 Jul 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jmack  this didn't work for me  Trevor's did. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 11, 2014 Oct 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello JJ,

I am sorry that I removed your answer as the right answer. I just came across this same issue again and recalled having asked about it here in the forum.

Trevor's answer in the one that actually worked for me and apparently others.

I changed the right answer to his b/c I'm afraid people pressed for time may not read this entire thread and miss what seems to be working for folks.

As always I very much appreciate your input! I have been helped by you a lot over the last couple of years!! Cheers!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2014 Jul 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also ran into this several times, and it usually has something to do with what Mode the image is in. So be sure to check Image > Mode and be sure you're working in an editable mode (usually RGB or CMYK). Switching to one of those modes should allow you to unlock as normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2016 Jan 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You sir, are brilliant. That was exactly my problem, The image mode was indexed  instead of RGB or CMYK. As soon as I switched the mode, I was able to unlock the layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That completely fixed my problem. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the actual answer i think everyone was looking for. I come across this problem quite often downloading pics off google. 7 years of using photoshop and i finally found the fix! thanks a lot!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experienced this issue today for the first time ever, and solved it in a different way.

20 years of PS usage. Never had this problem before.

In my case it was a smart object, so losing the ability to edit its contents would be a showstopper.

My solution was to convert the perma-locked smart object into a linked smart object, which basically allowed me to export the smart object's contents as another document.

I regained access to all the layers inside the locked SO again. I can re-insert it into the original parent doc or do whatever I want with it now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What???????????? it'/''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''s locked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@tylerk85577463 

If you are having an issue with a locked layer, then please clarify and show a screen shot.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

TOMAdv's post in this thread worked for me! As mentioned, make sure the document Mode (Image > Mode) is RGB or CMYK.  Or -- I changed my document Mode from Bitmap to Greyscale, which also gave me the layer in an unlockable form.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines