• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot use GPU. Photoshop detected an error in your display driver...

New Here ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 64-bit computer has Radeon RX 5500XT card installed. Under Preferences>Performance no detected graphics processor is shown and "use graphics processor" is grayed out, with message that Photoshop detected an error in your display driver.
I am using updated Photoshop 2020 (using version 22.1 now) and over the past 8 weeks have updated the display driver multiple times and also tried rolling back to previous versions to try to find one that will work.
Under System Info in Photoshop the graphics card is found but note below that it also says GPU sniffer crashed.

• The GPU Sniffer crashed on 12/18/2020 at 12:19:09 PM
    Display: 1
    Display Bounds: top=0, left=0, bottom=1080, right=1920
    Display: 2
    Display Bounds: top=0, left=1920, bottom=1080, right=3840
    OpenGL Drawing: Disabled.
    OpenGL Allow Old GPUs: Not Detected.
    NumGLGPUs=1
    NumCLGPUs=2
    NumNativeGPUs=1
    glgpu[0].GLVersion="4.6"
    glgpu[0].IsIntegratedGLGPU=0
    glgpu[0].GLMemoryMB=8152
    glgpu[0].GLName="Radeon RX 5500 XT"
    glgpu[0].GLVendor="AMD"
    glgpu[0].GLDriverVersion="27.20.14501.18003"

Photoshop has been very slow and often cannot redraw screen. Once this happens, I get an error trying to save file "Could not complete this operation because of a Program Error" and I lose my work.

I have tried resetting preferences, removing sniffer.exe, and other recommended troubleshooting steps to no avail.
Please help. I have several important design projects waiting.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried this post:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html#multiple-gpus 

If you have multiple graphic cards, in addition to step 7, do the following;

In Windows graphics settings (Settings\System\Display -> Graphics settings), add Photoshop.exe AND sniffer.exe and select option to use High performance card (AMD in your case)

You can use command prompt or powershell to test sniffer.exe :

example in Powershell (assuming default intallation folder)

cd C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2021
./sniffer.exe

You should see the ouput with graphic card information. Note that in system info, it will still list "older" crash but shouldn't be an issue if the latest execution was fine. You can double check the file sniffer-out.txt in

C:\Users\[your user]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2021\Adobe Photoshop 2021 Settings

I see that you have multiple displays as well. Check if your display 1 is set as the main display. (Settings\System\Display -> Click on screen number 1 and check "Make this my main display"). I have a laptop with 4k display (#1) and a 2k external display(#2). With the Display #2 set as main display, I had a "GPU error" in Photoshop and the checkbox in Performance settings was remaining greyed out. Switching the Diplay #1 as main display was the last action I took to solved the problem.

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh my gosh, you are a Godsend!! I've been trying to solve this problem for HOURS until I finally found your post! I followed step 7 on that guide and switched my main monitor to the tablet I was using, and VOILA! Thank you times a million. You have saved me so much stress and despair. So thankful for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines