• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

changing brightness of a selected area

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a photo with a very bright, over exposed hand. I have selected it with the lasso tool. How do I adjust the exposure/brightness on just this area?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on the layer mask icon in the layer panel and select one of the following :

1- brightness and contrast

2- Levels

3- curves

then adjust the values

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mohammad, thank you for your speedy reply.

All the choices I have in the layer mask panel are, Reveal All, Hide All, Reveal Selection and Hide selection.

I have never used layers so do I need to set up another layer maybe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's in the **Layers** panel - The little Half-black-half-white circle in to middle of the Icons at the bottom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2018 Feb 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a screenshot for the adjustment layer button

2018-02-04_19-02-55.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mohammad thank you so much. You are a genius

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2018 Oct 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to follow this, but after I export from Photoshop I find that the entire image is lightened or darkened depending on what I was trying to do to the selected area.  For instance:here's the original image I took today:

30168547037_fd2dfa47f1_o_d.jpg

And here's the adjusted image.  I only wanted to darken the rose, but the whole image has gone darker.

43292541810_36b8748ab7_o_d.jpg

One can make the case that the entire original image was overexposed anyway, and the best approach is to simply darken the whole thing.  Still, I'd like to know how to darken just the rose. 

Steps taken:

(1) Loaded JPEG image into Photoshop

(2) Quick-selected the rose and made a new layer by cutting.

(3) Turned off display of each layer except the one with the rose cutout

(4) With that layer highlighted in the Layers window, I clicked on the adjustment icon and used the Darkness/Contrast tool in the context menu.

What am I forgetting/missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2018 Oct 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The adjustment layer will be applied to all the layers below,

you need to click on the make clipping mask icon in the adjustment layer ( the icon with a down arrow ).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mwfast  wrote

I have a photo with a very bright, over exposed hand. I have selected it with the lasso tool. How do I adjust the exposure/brightness on just this area?

I have a feeling that you'll find you do not get a good result with the adjustment layer. If that is the case, copy the image and paste it to this thread, and we'll show you the best way to fix it if possible.  The bottom line tends to be that a blown pixel will always be a blown pixel, and you can't detail back, but there are a few tricks you can often use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Looking forward to seeing what you can do.KatieNickNY.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the original a raw file or rendered such as a JPEG?

If the latter, copy the selection to a new layer and then try the shadow/highlight command.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines