• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Character styles are seriously messed up

Engaged ,
Jul 16, 2019 Jul 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My character styles suddenly have a life of their own. Applying a style to a block of text has completely unpredictable results. The same style results in different size type and sometimes even different font. The best part is having text change their size when applying a colour from my library!

What is going on?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is getting worse. Selecting a block of text makes its size change by about 10px. I've just installed the latest psd update to no avail.

This is ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Please show a screen shot with text selected and with the Character, Character Styles, and Paragraph Styles panels showing.

These paragraphs properly have a paragraph style "Body" applied to the paragraphs and a Character style "Emphasis" applied to the instances where the text is different from the rest of the paragraph.

If you see a + in the Character Styles panel as there is next to Emphasis (below), there is an override and the text is not using the style. Remove the override.

Photoshop is not the best application for text heavy documents. Its core focus is images. InDesign and Illustration are light-years ahead for how they handle text. If you have either, use one of them.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your extended answer but I'm afraid that the problem is not there.

Photoshop was literally going crazy. As I mentioned, applying a colour from a CC library to text resulted in the text growing by 10px. That amongst many other bizarre issues, including not being able to highlight text at certain zoom ratios. I've now reinstalled photoshop and deleted my preferences. I'll report back if that doesn't resolve the issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

Please show a screen shot similar to the one I showed with the three panels and an insertion point in the problem text.

Do you have InDesign or Illustrator? Can you use one of them instead?

Is your text Point text or Area type?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

That shouldn't be happening, let us help make this right.

As the Character Styles are not working as expected, could you please let us know the version of Photoshop and the operating system you're working with?

Also, could you try resetting the preferences of Photoshop and let us know if it helps?

Preferences in Photoshop

Note: Make sure that you back up all your custom presets, brushes and actions before restoring Photoshop's preferences. Migrate presets, actions, and settings

Regards,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.

I have the latest version of photoshop running on a Mac with Mojave.

I'll try deleting the preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines