Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Composites Don't Look Real

Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Looking for some tips on how to make a composite look real. I am a novice in my first weeks of using photoshop. I'm getting selections ok but when I add them to a new image I cant get it to look like it should naturally be there 

Vinnie.jpgWhatsApp Image 2020-07-01 at 11.58.52.jpegLion.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The light direction is different in the two images. Flipping the cat might help a bit, but the light on the lions is more from the front right, whereas the light on the Cat is from the left. Also the camera angle is very different. The angle on the Cat is looking down. There also needs better shadowing on the Cat and background

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I can't really do anything about the angle. 
Not sure how to do the shadowing. I'll have to play some more 

thank you 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Along with Chuck's advice of matching the camera angle, I'd shoot the cat picture again if you can, but do it outdoors and in similar light as you can find to the lion shot. 

The Lion shot is taken with a telephoto lens, but the cat photo is pretty wide angle. Maybe a longer focal length lens on your camera would help, or zoom in if you don't have one. It'll help match the perpsective better as well.

If you can't shoot the cat picture again, darkening the paws and legs and brightening the upper part of the body would maybe help as well.

Good to see you've got the hang of selections and some colour adjustments. Cats are hard to cut out well ;¬)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both for your advice - much appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to the light source, the cat needs a drop shadow under his feet to avoid looking like he's floating above the ground.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you - much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines