• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crop Tool Issue With CC2019 - Possible Bug?

Participant ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just noticed something odd with the crop tool in CC2019. This only happens in Classic Crop mode.

When you want to do a custom crop with W x H x resolution selected with the size and resolution boxes left blank, the crop remains in the same aspect ratio if you try to lengthen/shorten one side of the crop.

Has anyone had the same issue - and how do you resolve this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Thanks for sharing the video. As davescm has mentioned, I believe that this is related to the new transform behavior change in the 20.0 Photoshop update.

See the below screengrab:

Source New and enhanced features | Latest release of Photoshop CC

~Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Contemporary_Dave,

Sorry that the Crop tool in Photoshop CC 20.0 version is now working as expected.

If I am following you correctly, with the crop tool in use if I leave the resolution field left empty I am able to crop the image as expected.

Would you like to share a few screenshots of what's happening at your end?

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for getting back to me. See video here: PS Crop error - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the video. As davescm has mentioned, I believe that this is related to the new transform behavior change in the 20.0 Photoshop update.

See the below screengrab:

Source New and enhanced features | Latest release of Photoshop CC

~Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Akash, I seriously hope that you report the number of threads where this new behavior causes issues, is totally inconsistent within Photoshop itself, as Dave demonstrated, and also within the CC ecosystem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fix mentioned earlier by Dave hasn't worked for me (yes, I've double checked, I did it properly)

This is just ridiculous! Why has Adobe felt the need to change something just because other software applies a similar method?! It's the sort of annoying thing Apple does.

Adobe tell us we "no longer have to hold shift when contraining proportions" like they're doing us a massive favour!

Sort it out. Please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you please have the original functionally restored for us?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is about 4 years ago I ran into a problem with the crop tool after a big PS update started moving the image around to crop. It was infuriatingly useless for my needs and it looked like I would be stuck with some old version of PS on an old computer just to be able to crop images but thankfully not. I did complain loudly with others at the time and 'Classic' was introduced. I've been cropping in "Classic' for so long I've forgotten what the differences were before, as it works absolutely fine for me in CC2018. I did have a couple of issues in CC2019 however, one being the pop up window that interrupts workflows for every image and I've dumped it. I've now uninstalled CC2019 and gone back to CC2018 until its all sorted including any issues with cropping. Adobe really need to stop trying to reinvent the wheel with that very basic tool that people just want to simply and quickly crop with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I click on the crop button I expect to see the usual frame show up around the photo so that I can ... crop it. This no longer happens with CC2019 and I did not find a way to change this. Since I am not paid to look for a solution to Adobe's problems I moved back to 19.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2018 Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really thought it was a bug (or that my shift key was locked somehow).

As far as I can remember, shift has always been required to scale proportionally.

Why reverse this kind of well established behavior overnight? It's not even consistent with other CC software (I've just checked in Illustrator).

Maybe a user setting would be more convenient, if some users really prefer the new behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh Adobe developers — why do you do this to us??? Why would you "fix" something that isn't broken. Convoluted, frustrating, and to top it off this isn't a universal feature across other Adobe programs — you still hold shift to scale objects for InDesign and Illustrator. Please Adobe, return functionality to the way it was. I want the shift key back and I want the crop tool to function like it always has. These programs are so deep as it is to learn — must you really change existing functionality just because you can? Freaking ridiculous!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jessiek74234510  wrote

Oh Adobe developers —.......... I want the shift key back

So download the latest version 20.0.5 which came out today and check this in Preferences

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh davescm, i love you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2019 Jul 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, davescm!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2020 Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!   Thank you!  Thank you!  ðŸ™‚  

Really...thank you very much!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found the same problem.

Holding the SHIFT key makes it work like it is supposed to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same issue and it's very frustrating. It must be a bug!
Holding the SHIFT key solves the problem in some way, but its still a lot more complicated than in the earlier version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it is a bug.  I think it's a new feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same problem here. PS installed on 2 different machines. Same issue. Shift makes no difference. How on earth can this be a new feature over the previous version?! I want to be to adjust my crop proportions but am unable to. Sticking with previous version for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad its not only me.

There is another post about this - and someone has posted a fix. I've tried it (on Windows) and it does work.

To revert to the legacy transform behavior, do the following:

1. Use Notepad (Windows) or a text editor on Mac OS to create a plain text file (.txt).
  2. Type the text below in the text file:

TransformProportionalScale 0

3. Save the file as "PSUserConfig.txt" to your Photoshop settings folder:
    • Windows: [Installation Drive]:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings\
    • macOS: //Users/[User Name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like it is tied up with the new behaviour of Transform.

Strange though how the classic crop mode needs shift to change the aspect ratio (the same as transforming a pixel layer) whereas the newer crop mode needs shift to maintain the aspect ratio (same as transforming a vector shape).

Whilst I am not against the newer transform behaviour, muscle memory quickly adapts, the inconsistent implementation within Photoshop does not help anyone.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You also can no longer set the Width or Height to blank.  I have used this method as a quick way to set the resolution for years, now if you try to make those fields blank, it defaults to 1px.  After trying to set them to blank a few times, Photoshop freezes and has to be restarted.  Da-ja-vu to the 2017 update with all of the issues across this update of Photoshop and Indesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm considering returning to using v.19.1.6 (2018) because of this. Making sure horizons are level is something I do as standard before I manipulate or catalogue images. Sometimes it's all I have to do with an image, or crop and straighten. To do this using the new format wastes my time and is counter-intuitive. Not to mention the muscle memory factor! I can't remember if previous versions had the 'straighten using a line' function - I never needed to test that button until now, but it is kind of cool. Doesn't make up for the new system, to my mind. Not impressed. Also, the new version has seriously slowed down my computer - yes, it's an older Mac...but that doesn't make it obsolete. And why? (does anyone know) did this only show up today, when I've had and been using v.20 for at least 2 weeks now. That's just weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines