• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Depth Map Channel Missing in Layers - PhotoShop 2020

Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to use a lens blur to blur out a background and I've tried following tutorials. The problem is that I can't follow a tutorial past opening the Channels panel in layers as the depth channel will not appear.

Using PhotoShop 2020
I've tried so far:

RAW file

JPEG file

Made sure the file is in 8bit RGB

Closed and reopened Photoshop.

No matter what I do the depth map channel will not appear, so when I go to Lens Blur there is no depth map channel to work with.

Grateful for any assistance please?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

That does not sound right, would you mind telling us what tutorial are you following? Could you check this video and let us know if it helps? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxbVU9LD_J0&feature=emb_logo

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying. I was following this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_yjO8dQtBk

But, when I go to the channels, there is no depth map channel, so I can't go any further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would normally make a selection of the image and blur the unselected area, preferably non-destructively. There are tutorials on how to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek,

I was trying to use the 'new' method in the new Photoshop, but maybe this new method misses a step. In the tutorial I was following, the depth map channel was already present in the channel list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You normally have to make a depth channel from a selection. So make a selection of the focus area , then at the bottom of the channels panel choose Save Selection as Channel

If you already have a depth map in a separate layer - e.g. from a 3D multipass render, then you can use Image calculations as below to make a new channel from that layer

2020-03-02_20-51-16.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, will give that a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines