Exit

Drawing shapes in Photoshop just got easier

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

live-shape-gif.gif

New shape and line options in Photoshop 22.0

Drawing and customizing shapes and lines in Photoshop just got a lot more powerful in the MAX 2020 Photoshop release. Here are 3 reasons to check out shapes in Photoshop 22.0:

❶ Live Shapes

Starting with Photoshop 22.0, you can find and control Live Shape Properties on canvas and on the Properties panel. It's really handy being able to resize, rotate, and round corners directly from the canvas.

❷ Triangle Shape tool

We have added a Triangle tool to the shape group in the Toolbar to make creating triangles much easier. You can even round the corners in seconds by clicking on a corner rounding point and dragging towards the center of the shape. All three corners will become rounded when you drag one rounding point. 

Line tool

You can now use the Line tool to draw a two-point line. Simply adjust the width of your line using the Stroke options.

Create some shapes of your own:

Come on, give it a go! Simply click the Shape tool group icon from the Toolbar, choose a shape, set the shape option to Shape, and start creating!

3-shape tool.jpg

In case you want to try the new, on canvas modifications, here's an example of how to draw a square, round the corners, and then modify a single corner:

Round Shape corners2.jpg

Here are a few interesting shape examples I created using a polygon shape. Try changing the properties to create a variety of different shapes. For more information on drawing shapes, check out this article:
How to draw shapes in Photoshop.

SAMPLE SHAPES3.jpg

To draw a line, first select the line tool from the Shapes tool group, and then set the stroke width.

set stroke.jpg

Ensure you have the stroke alignment set to either Center or Outside. These are the lower two alignment options in the bottom left corner of the image below. Now you are ready to click and drag to create a line.

line info2.jpg

  

Here are some examples of  solid and dotted lines.

lines 2 examples.jpg

Related links:

How to draw shapes in Photoshop

How to add shapes - video  

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is good to have them all in photoshop as they were  available in Illustrator since 2016

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

compass_rosie_tallship_halfsize.jpgThe new feature where polygon properties are now editable in the properties windowsafter creation is awesome!

I created two new actions 'PolyMaker' and 'PolyRingMaker' for my RadialTools Actions set that leverages this feature. PolyMaker is pretty simple in that it puts a polygon in the exact center of the document and puts it into transform mode so you can scale it.

PolyRingMaker creates a polygon, lets you size it, then creates another Polygon that subtracts from the shape so that you end up with a "PolyRing".

The image to the right is an example that I created using this technique. The fun thing was that I could change the number of sides of the polygons and the polygon ring (the 12-sided beige poly) were fully editable throughout the design process.

You can find out more information at Radial Tools if you are interested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

can we rotate the shape as we drag irt out ? that would bea dream come true  or have it mirrored if we cross an axis   would open up tons of possiblities for people who "draw/paint" with shapes    thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also used the pen tool to draw a logo for my website [link removed by moderator] and it was pretty good 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your tutorial, very easy and intuitive. I tried drawing simple icons but it was very fuzzy when uploading to the longboard shop [link removed by moderator] section. Did I choose the wrong resolution or save the image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines