Duplicating and Flipping A Selection

Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope someone might be able to help with this query here. I have an action which takes an image, duplicates it and flips it horizontally (see images 1 and 2 below). The original image has a selection around the leaves and stem with a mask created, and when the image is flipped the selection/mask does not get transferred along with the duplicated image. What I would like to achieve is that the selection/mask gets duplicated and flipped along with the original image so that the final image is a mirror image of the original with selection/mask intact on the original and the duplicated image. I look forward to possible solutions. Thanks, Martin

Screenshot 2020-12-12 at 11.44.33.pngScreenshot 2020-12-12 at 11.46.48.png

Thank you all for your replies. I will absorb your recommendations and try them all out before getting back to you. Thanks again.Martin

TOPICS
Actions and scripting, How to, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Duplicating and Flipping A Selection

Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope someone might be able to help with this query here. I have an action which takes an image, duplicates it and flips it horizontally (see images 1 and 2 below). The original image has a selection around the leaves and stem with a mask created, and when the image is flipped the selection/mask does not get transferred along with the duplicated image. What I would like to achieve is that the selection/mask gets duplicated and flipped along with the original image so that the final image is a mirror image of the original with selection/mask intact on the original and the duplicated image. I look forward to possible solutions. Thanks, Martin

Screenshot 2020-12-12 at 11.44.33.pngScreenshot 2020-12-12 at 11.46.48.png

Thank you all for your replies. I will absorb your recommendations and try them all out before getting back to you. Thanks again.Martin

TOPICS
Actions and scripting, How to, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 12, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know for Transform Selection command? It can flip selection and such step in action is recordable.

Regarding mask flipping: it seems mask is unlinked from layer, otherwise it would flip with content.

In action step you must target mask then transform it-flip it- if mask is unlinked from layer content.

If you can not figure out how to fix things, please post screenshots with Ps window, Layers panel and action step expanded.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 12, 2020 2
LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As indicated please post screenshots including the relevant Panels. 

Have you considered using a Smart Object, then duplicating and flipping that? 

That would allow for further editing that updates in both instances. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 12, 2020 2
Most Valuable Participant ,
Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save the original selection before the Ctrl+J the copy the selected ares into a the new layer that you transform flip horizontally.  The Ctrl+Click the new layer content thumbnail it the layer Palette. To select the layer pixels.  To that selection add the saved selection.  You would need to expand the canvas and move the  flipped layer into the  added canvas and add a background.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 12, 2020 2
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Would you be willing to share that action? Thanks, Martin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 12, 2020 0
Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted it. You can record it from the screen captures I showed.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 12, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, These commands execute the flipping of the image nicely however, my end goal is to have the left-hand leaves duplicated and flipped to the right-hand side with the mask also duplicated. I can then just load the two masks into one so that I can apply textures and adjustment layers to the leaves independently of the background. Thanks for the help so far. Martin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 12, 2020 0
Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Ctrl+Click on the left Leaf Mask followed by a Shift+Ctrl+Click on the Right Mask will set that selection.  

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 12, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your patience as this is quite a steep learning curve for me. I have an action now working but I have one fianl question to ask. When I flip/duplicate the original image I would like to make sure that the subject and it's background are mirrored to the right-hand side. As you can see from this image the right-hand side has a white background instead of the original textured background. No doubt there is a very simple answer to this question also. Thanks again - I really do appreciate you spending time to help me with this. MartinScreenshot 2020-12-13 at 10.55.54.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 13, 2020 0
JJMack LATEST
Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 13, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 12, 2020 1