• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ellipse tool path options

Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2018 Aug 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to make a circle that when using the ellipse, with circle and from center checked, creates a thicker circle. 70 pixel is what I'm trying but it keeps staying at the path option thickness of max 3 pixels. I cannot find how to override this so I can make the circle thickness how I want it. Any help would be fantastic.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 02, 2018 Aug 02, 2018

I didn't see your second screen shot. Have you tried resetting your preferences? You should see a stroke with those values. I'm assuming your unit values for your document are in pixels - so a 1000px document.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You are mistaking the path thickness - which is just a line to make a path visible whilst adjusting it , with the shape stroke thickness which is used in the actual image.

Set the stroke thickness in the option bar

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then I'm mistaken on what it's used for but not what to do because I've already done what you've shown here but nothing happens. All I'm seeing is the path lines. I have it on no fill but when I put a color for fill it fill in the entire circle with no 70 px circle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show a screen shot of your settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Untitled.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Untitled2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What size is your document? I thought it was 1000px square, but the shape is over 104,000px! At that size you're not going to see a 70px stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well spotted Chuck

I just looked back at that first screenshot and it is at 0.63% zoom

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see a shape layer, so hard to see what the issue is. You do have the stroke set for 70px, which will give you an outer sized circle of 70px, and not overall circle of 70px - if that's what you want. Can you show the warning that says you can only do 3px?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I'm saying is that it is not creating a shape layer. There is no warning or anything. Everytime I create a circle all I see is the path and nothing else with the settings I've previously shown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at the top tool bar and make sure your tool is set to shapes and not set to paths. Paths will not show a color until a stroke or fill is applied to it. But as Chuck stated, it is best to capture your entire screen so we can see what you are doing rather than guessing on the correct answer to give.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Can you sketch, with a brush, what you are trying to achieve and we'll try and help you with the settings

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Path thickness is what width size lines to display the the path you are creating.  The line is not part of your image and a path has no lines.   Paths are just a set of numbers that mathematically describe  how to plot the path.   The Path tool also has a shape option.  You can fill the path with a color or pattern and you can stroke the path.  The stroke can be aligned outside the path, inside the path or centered  on the path.  Here you see a Circle shape it has a 100 px diameter the circle path is in the default light blue color and has 4 control points the control points are what is recorded for the Path the math stuff.  The blue is so you can see the path and where the control points are which you can edit. The Shape has a 20PX Black stroke inside the path and is also where the blue is.  The Blue is not part of your document. You can edit the shape and change the alignment of the stroke and it width and even edit the path.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't see your second screen shot. Have you tried resetting your preferences? You should see a stroke with those values. I'm assuming your unit values for your document are in pixels - so a 1000px document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I honestly don't know why its working now but it is. I'm thinking you were right with the preferences and it may have been not correct. I was positive it was at 1000 by 1000 with 150 resolution and it was in pixels. I created a new one and it's working so I must have made a mistake. Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You were talking about the shape stroke not the path width in the first place.  Photoshop Preference file become corrupt and that cause all sorts of problems.  If Photoshop starts working strangely try resetting you preferences.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines