• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File extension naming issues saving in Catalina

Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still trying to fix this new "problem" that Adobe seems to have overlooked, for reasons unknown. No, it's not the worst thing to happen in the world but unnecessarily annoying. In previous versions of Photoshop, if I saved any image for Web, the title window automatically highlighted the name of the file but NOT the extension (eg. jpg, pdf, tiff, png...). If one wished to rename the file, the extension automatically came with it.  Now, when you wish to retitle a Save For Web image, the entire title is highlight, including the extension. Unwittingly, if you hit save, you end up without the extension. As in, if I wanted to rename the file, "House.jpg, the final file will saved as "House." No extension. Some have said that the file is still a jpg, which is true, BUT, if you want to attach that file to an email or send it in any other way, the email service will not recognize it. You only can see a grayed icon of the file "House." So, I must go back and add  .jpg  to the file name. Only then, will another program, like email, see it. I have attached a grab of what I mean. Can Adobe or anyone else fix or change this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I heard about that problem previously. Can you please upload file after saving it on hard drive, that file without extension? Save file then zip it and upload somewhere then post download link in comment on this page. I would like to check it. On Windows computer Photoshop is adding extension autmaticaly and it looks like this: save-with-extension.jpg. Beside dashes in between words Ps will always add and extension. 

In meantime it is better to post on Photoshop family site because here your requested may wanish without any engineer to see it https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry for the delay. I'm not familiar with performing your request. I have the image zipped but am naive to the meaning of "upload it somewhere" to create a link to that image. Can you explain how to perform that action and suggest where to upload it? Thank you for help.

Al

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upload to CC Asets https://assets.adobe.com/ and copy link or upload to Google Drive or use Dropbox if you have account there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're running Mac OS Catalina I'm assuming?

Update to the latest Photoshop to resolve:

File naming options don't work correctly in the Save As dialog

In Photoshop 20.0.6, changing the file format does not change the extension of the file in the name field.

Solution

Update to Photoshop 21.x or Photoshop 20.0.7. The file extension is hidden by default but will automatically match the format selected in the Format pop-up.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html 

Issue

In Photoshop 20.0.6, changing the file format does not change the extension of the file in the name field.

Solution

Update to Photoshop 21.x or Photoshop 20.0.7. The file extension is hidden by default but will automatically match the format selected in the Format pop-up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem that remains is, even though the extension (e.g.  .jpg) is not visible, the file becomes invisible to other programs especially when you wish to upload the saved file to email or, even, Facebook. Its icon will be faded or grayed when you try to locate it through email. A user must still go back to the saved file and type in the extension for email to see it and upload it to send it in a message. I must not be explaining this well.

Here is a link to my example: https://assets.adobe.com/id/urn:aaid:sc:US:cef50275-6da4-4c2a-8197-85139609baa2?view=folder

This is the original cause. It used to be that, in Photoshop, when you "saved as" or "saved for web," only the title of the file would be highlighted, with the extension "un-highlighted," so you could quickly change the title without accidentally writing over the extension. Now, the title AND the extension are highlighted (in blue, on my computer). Because of this, at a fast pace, I'll save the new title while unintentionally overwriting the extension. It will still be a jpg but the extension won't come with the new title and the file won't be recognizable from email, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you linked to the folder without shares... no one but you can see that file mate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for that answer. I thought I was the only one with this issue. There are too many counter-intuitive changes to the Adobe products. I used to be in love with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines