Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fixing White Dots within Black Areas of a Scanned Image

New Here ,
Mar 14, 2020 Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I am new to Photoshop but have thorougly enjoyed using this amazing software!

I am scanning a bunch of old newspaper comics. I am happy with my scans. However, one thing that has been giving me trouble is that the quality of the newspaper prints is not fantastic - if you look closely, there are many "white dots" within the black areas of the comics (it's not dust - more just a result of poor printing quality I'm assuming).

1.10 - Sharpness 10, Low Light On.jpg

When looking at the comics in person, the white dots are not very visible. But when scanning the image, the white dots are much more noticable. I think this is because I am using a "sharpening" tool in Photoshop. The problem is, without the sharpening, the image is not nearly as clear as it appears in person. If I had to choose between one or the other, I'd choose the "sharpness" of the image for clarity even if it gives me white dots - but I'd like to fix both if possible 🙂

I have played around with the sharpening tool for weeks now and have finally settled on a setting I like. However, I'd like to tackle removing those "white dots" if possible. I've played around with curves, selective colors (adding more "black" - which was decent, but it didn't totally solve the problem - it did make many of the black pixels more black, but also made some of the white pixels stand out even more), and other tools but can't quite seem to find anything good enough.

I am attaching a picture of one of the comics - the white dots are especially noticable in the black areas of the "Dick Tracy" logo, as well as on the black suit jackets of the characters.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much for your help!
~Tony

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2020 Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ps: I just played around with the "Replace Color" (the black settings) but still no luck! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2020 Mar 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short update - the first picture is the original scan (with sharpening) - the second photo is using the "replace black" (7x). The black looks nice, but it almost makes the white dots more noticable in certain spots? (i.e. the 2nd panel of the 2nd row - the suit jacket on the character on the left)

1.10 - Sharpness 10, Low Light On.jpg1.05D - Sharpness 05, Low Light On ('Sharpen' and Replace Color Black 7x).jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try playing around with noise reduction through the CameraRaw filter. Also use a filter mask. The screenshot shows the result of applying the filter two times with these parameters.
aaaaaaaa.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

r-bin, that looks AMAZING!!! Thank you very much, I will have to try that out! Unfortunately I have a very old version of Photoshop that doesn't appear to have CameraRaw filter - I will look into buying a new version of Photoshop. By the way, is there any particular filter mask I should use (aside from CameraRaw filter? I know you said to also use a filter mask). Thanks again, thrilled to see that there's a solution for this!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines