• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font Size in PX isn't accurate, why?

Apr 21, 2019 Apr 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody,

When I measure a font's height at 40px, it's not. It's 30px. It must be measuring the box around the text (I guess?), but that doesn't really help me.

Why doesn't Photoshop just measure the actual font height and can I adjust things so that my actual letter height = the height in the panel?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 21, 2019 Apr 21, 2019

soupking  wrote

I'm just surprised there isn't a rough reference for capital lettering. 

Hi,

We measure type as Guttenburg did—by measuring the size of the metal block the text is on (or used to be on), including ascenders and descnders. This is the ruler I’ve been using for 30 years to measure typesize and leading. Hold the various E’s on top of a capital letter to find your typesize.

Type Setting Graphic Arts Ruler 13.75 inch Painting Crafts division of Hofcraft The Painters Source

Jane

3EEFD0C5-1631-479E-8871-A79584FB1EB3.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you allowed for descenders and ascenders?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ascenders and descenders, never heard of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The size of a font is always given in terms of the box around it, has been for 500 years. This always includes the ascender (the tallest part of the font like "T") and descender (the lowest part of the font like "j"), and a bit of space top and bottom. Photoshop does what all other apps do (and if the size was dynamic, horrible things would happen, like you add a "j" and the text shrinks and jumps up).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

K, so in order to measure fonts in an exact fashion it would be a mess. Gotcha.

I'm just surprised there isn't a rough reference for capital lettering. I would think that would be a pretty solid way to measure letters w/o a box. Then take ascenders/descenders as an addition to that base measurement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

soupking  wrote

I'm just surprised there isn't a rough reference for capital lettering. 

Hi,

We measure type as Guttenburg did—by measuring the size of the metal block the text is on (or used to be on), including ascenders and descnders. This is the ruler I’ve been using for 30 years to measure typesize and leading. Hold the various E’s on top of a capital letter to find your typesize.

Type Setting Graphic Arts Ruler 13.75 inch Painting Crafts division of Hofcraft The Painters Source

Jane

3EEFD0C5-1631-479E-8871-A79584FB1EB3.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, that's a pretty cool tool. I kind of wish Photoshop had a PX font preference for something like that. Heh, but messing with fonts and such like that could possibly crash things. LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Parts of a typeface:

mio-design-assets-0BzCQdutE8gumVE9NYmg5cU83N2s-anatomy.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know how Adobe specifies type size so perhaps the following has little relevance. On the off chance that it is similar to the foundry type that, as a youngster, I learned to set (and distribute it back into the job case after it had been used).

I searched around for a diagram that might be helpful when referring to type in terms of point size.

type.png

Note that the letter sits on a shoulder that is larger than the letter. This allows area for ascenders (lower case l, k and h, for example) and for desscenders (example: g, p and q)

In fact, the origin of the phrase "mind your p's and q's", meaning be careful, originated in letterpress shops where the metal letters are backward, easy for the novice to confuse.

In addition to the. face, ascender and descender there is additional blank space at the bottom of the shoulder so that, when several lines are set, the bottom of a descender will not butt the top of an ascender in the line below.

As a result, you cannot take a measure of the face and call that the type size. The point size is what is shown above as Point Body and includes the shoulder.

To repeat, when Adobe refers to point or pixel size, I don't know whether or not the presumed body is part of the point designation. I assume, in providing for line-below-line spacing, even without leading, they make the same accommodation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about a little script?

Re: Retrieve cap height from font

Have fun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While we are on this subject, I'd like to add two useful terms that describe a face's  style.

Consider the height of the lower case x.

A face that is large on the body has a larger than normal x height and, as a result, has smaller ascenders and descenders

A face that is small on the body has a smaller than normal x height and, as a result, has longer ascenders and descenders.

It can mislead you when guessing the point size of a printed page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2019 Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/pixxxel+schubser  schrieb

How about a little script?

Re: Retrieve cap height from font 

Have fun

Does have anyone tested the mentioned script for getting the (real) capital letter height?

That was only a script studie (with a fix font height). But you can change the font size in the script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In some fonts the cap height is lower than the lowercase ascenders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is possible. Was that the question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it was a statement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not: was that a question - but: was that the question.

You know that I know that you know that I know …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Natch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

norman.sanders  wrote

I do not know how Adobe specifies type size so perhaps the following has little relevance. On the off chance that it is similar to the foundry type that, as a youngster, I learned to set (and distribute it back into the job case after it had been used).

Norman, your descriptions are spot on, and measuring type has not changed since those days. A font is still one typestyle, one typeface, and one type size — only what goes in one of those cases.

soupking​, hopefully you have a better understanding now about measuring type and how it’s not Adobe’s decision to make. And it’s too late to take it up with Gutenberg!

Norman, now that I’m home, I grabbed a couple of letters out of my box of type and took a quick photo:

DBC54DF9-70E0-47D8-B01F-3477A594793B.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should view (and read) them the other way around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines