Highlighted

Gradient tool not working properly??

New Here ,
Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I was able to use the Gradient tool successfully to make a thumbnail 2 days ago, but now it seems to be "broken" or at least not doing what its supposed to. Screenshot (378).png

So this is how my settings are, I am trying to get the two images to fade together, but every time I try this is what happens.

Screenshot (379).png

This happens every time even though I got it to work before, also when I click the drop down option for color in the Stops area, and then click on the background or foreground options, it chooses these two colors.

Screenshot (380).png

Screenshot (381).png

I was following this guide How To Fade Two Images Together In Photoshop - Photoshop Tutorial - YouTube  , but now it will not work no matter what  I try and it's making me really annoyed, anyone know how to fix this?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Semaphoric-PLXibM | Adobe Community Professional

You're missing the part at 2:30 in the video, where he adds a Layer Mask (not a Vector Mask, as he calls it). You then make sure the mask for the layer is selected, and do you work on that. You will see this is the Channels panel.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Gradient tool not working properly??

New Here ,
Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I was able to use the Gradient tool successfully to make a thumbnail 2 days ago, but now it seems to be "broken" or at least not doing what its supposed to. Screenshot (378).png

So this is how my settings are, I am trying to get the two images to fade together, but every time I try this is what happens.

Screenshot (379).png

This happens every time even though I got it to work before, also when I click the drop down option for color in the Stops area, and then click on the background or foreground options, it chooses these two colors.

Screenshot (380).png

Screenshot (381).png

I was following this guide How To Fade Two Images Together In Photoshop - Photoshop Tutorial - YouTube  , but now it will not work no matter what  I try and it's making me really annoyed, anyone know how to fix this?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Semaphoric-PLXibM | Adobe Community Professional

You're missing the part at 2:30 in the video, where he adds a Layer Mask (not a Vector Mask, as he calls it). You then make sure the mask for the layer is selected, and do you work on that. You will see this is the Channels panel.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your mistake: You applied the gradient to the layer 1 image.

In the video at 2:35 you can see that the layer 1 gets a layer mask first - your's haven't got one.

Then apply the gradient to the layer mask, not to the image.

Fenja

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both the above answers are correct , perhaps this will help explain.

When a mask is attached to a layer, where the mask is white - the layer shows. Where the mask is black - the layer(s) below show. Shades of grey result in degrees of transparency.

In the example below the red and green layers are both solid but a gradient was applied to the mask by clicking on the mask in the layers panel then using the gradient tool.

I hope that helps

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My gradient tool simply won't work, I'm trying to apply the mask but the opacity is messed up within it. Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 4.07.12 PM.png I'm unsure as to why this isn't working. All opacities are at 100%, if anyone knows what to do please help me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
TomasZ19 LATEST
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My mistake I noticed in the top corner after hours of looking that the gradient wasn't correct

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines