• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Halos within a selection when cutting out

Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm cutting out a group of children from a white background using the object selection tool and quick wand selection tool to fine tune my selection.

I make my secection then drag it onto a new white document, I don't need to fix fringing on the outer edges as the backgrounds are the same colour, but I'm getting halos and fringing within the selection say around an arm or leg within the image well away from the outside selection.

If the above isn't making sense its like photographing a coke can cutting selecting around the outer edges and when its cut onto a new document the words on the can having a halo around them.

Any help most appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Have you tried using »Select and Mask« and decontaminating? 

Screenshot 2021-06-01 at 16.21.20.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Are you working with Layer Masks or destructively? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried with a layer mask, but when I add my mask it cuts into my image where there are no marching ants. See two arm photos below.

Screenshot 2021-06-01 at 14.16.07.png

Screenshot 2021-06-01 at 14.15.28.png

  you can't see the ants in the photo but you can see how it runs up the lads arm in the mask

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a few things to try in images like this one.  The first is to make a copy of the background layer and adjust the copy in Camera Raw making the flesh and blues darker and the whites whiter.  This will separate him from the background better and you can outline him much easier.  Another suggestion is to look at the whites as a way to outline instead of the subject.  Select / Color Range/ and choose the areas you want to remove.  Whichever method or combination of methods you use on this layer can be copied to the base layer by command clicking the mask and adding it to the background layer.  Then delete the working layer.  

ICC programmer and developer, Photographer, artist and color management expert, Print standards and process expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Selection applied destructively or as a Layer Mask should achieve the same visible result, but editing the Mask is easier that ytring to edit a Layer’s transparency.

Your screenshots do not seem to illustrate the issue you described in the original post. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, the original image and problem with the leg I fixed with the paint brush used and deleted so had nothing to post until the next problem.

The one I'm on now has done it to the hair, if I use a layer mask I have to paint the mask to fix the problem, it's ok but super slow.

Screenshot 2021-06-01 at 15.03.03.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried using »Select and Mask« and decontaminating? 

Screenshot 2021-06-01 at 16.21.20.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many thanks, I'll have a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines