• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I select and move a part of one image to another?

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 29, 2012 Oct 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HOW DO I SELECT AND MOVE A PART OF ONE IMAGE TO ANOTHER?

-----------------------------

In this short tutorial, we'll go over how to select a part of one image and move it to another image. To do so, we'll be using the Quick Selection tool and the Refine Edge function. For this tutorial, I am using Photoshop CS6.

Here I have two images - one of my subject and one of a beach scene. The photo of my subject has a blown-out background, so I want to move my subject into the photo of the beach.

Subject.jpg Background.jpg

STEP 1. Open both of your images in Photoshop.

Step 1 - Open images copy.jpg

STEP 2. Click on the Quick Selection tool in the tool bar, as highlighted below. If you see the Magic Wand tool instead, just click and hold on the Magic Wand icon and a submenu should pop up.

Step 2 - Quick Select Tool.jpg

STEP 3. Using the Quick Selection tool, click and drag over the area of the first image that you want to move into the second image.

replacestep3.jpg

*TIP* If you select an area that you don't want to keep, use the Subtract From Selection tool in the Quick Selection tool menu bar.

STEP 4. Now we're going to refine our selection to help it merge more smoothly with the other image. From the menu bar, choose Select > Refine Edge...

Step 4 - Refine Edge from bar.jpg

STEP 5. Use the Refine Edge dialog box to adjust the edge of your selection. The settings you choose will depend on the particular image that you're working with. My image includes some thin sections of hair so I've checked the Smart Radius option and widened my selection radius using the radius slider. I've also changed my View Mode to Overlay so that I can see my selection easier. Once you're happy with your selection, click "OK".

Step 5 - refine edges.jpg

STEP 6. Now that I have my selection, I am ready to move my subject into the new photo. To copy the selection, choose Edit > Copy from the menu bar, or simply hit "control-C" (Windows) or "command-C" (Mac) on your keyboard.

Step 6 - copy are copy.jpg

STEP 7. Now I can go to my background image and paste my subject into the scene. To do so, open your background image and choose Edit > Paste from the menu bar, or hit "control-V" (Windows) or "command-V" (Mac) on your keyboard. This will create a new layer from the selection.

Step 7 - paste into new image copy.jpg

STEP 8. I need to adjust the placement and size of my subject. From the menu bar, choose Edit > Free Transform, or hit "control-T" (Windows) or "command-T" (Mac) on your keyboard.

Step 8 - free transform.jpg

STEP 9. Move your selection around the canvas by clicking and dragging on the center of the selection. Resize your selection by clicking and dragging on one of the corners of the bounding box while holding down the "Shift" key on your keyboard to constrain the dimensions of your selection. Once you're satisfied with the placement of your subject in the image, click on the check in the transform menu bar (highlighted below).

Step 9 - scale and move2.jpg

DONE! Now your selection has successfully been placed into a new photo!

final.jpg

ADDITIONAL LEARNING

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2016 Oct 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new at all of this. Is there something I can download to read step by step to like how to highlight something? Or anything new that comes up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2018 Aug 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your guiding. I really need it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for sharing such a helpful tutorial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines