• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to add a Pen tool path to a selection

Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually use ''Select/Subject'' when I want to cut an object out of an image, but sometimes I need to refine that selection by adding or subtracting from it. I find the Pen tool to be the most accurate when It comes it adjusting those small details,

I'd like to know how to add or subtract the path I make with the Pen tool to the original selection?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

I would maybe suggest using the Paths panel to store paths that you may want to come back to later. Use the "Create New Path" button in the lower right of the Paths panel to, well, create a new path. You can use Ctrl/Cmd + click on the path's thumbnail to create a selection. (You can do this for multiple paths that are selected by using the Selection button under the Make option on the Pen Tool's Options bar.)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

With selection active open Paths panel and use Shift or Alt + Ctrl + click on path to add or subtract from selection. Path will be converted to selection and along the way selection will be aded/subtracted from active selection. If you hold Shift and Alt together while Ctrl + clicking on path thet should intersect with selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would maybe suggest using the Paths panel to store paths that you may want to come back to later. Use the "Create New Path" button in the lower right of the Paths panel to, well, create a new path. You can use Ctrl/Cmd + click on the path's thumbnail to create a selection. (You can do this for multiple paths that are selected by using the Selection button under the Make option on the Pen Tool's Options bar.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With selection active open Paths panel and use Shift or Alt + Ctrl + click on path to add or subtract from selection. Path will be converted to selection and along the way selection will be aded/subtracted from active selection. If you hold Shift and Alt together while Ctrl + clicking on path thet should intersect with selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just recently went from CS5 to the latest CC and I'm having a really tough time doing something that was extremely simple in CS5.

When using the pen tool to make a path in CS5, I would first select add to path area and make a path around the entire object.  Then I would select "subtract from path area" and make paths for all of the negative spaces within the object.  Regardless of how many paths I made while in "subtract from path" mode, I would be, well, subtracting from the outside path.

I can not for the LIFE of me figure out how to do this EXTREMELY simple procedure using the CC version of the pen tool and no, I don't want to have to make dozens of NEW paths and save them so that I can go back to each and every one and "subtract from front image".  I've GOT to be missing something here.

HELP !!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines