• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to add captions in Photoshop

Jan 04, 2016 Jan 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm VERY new to Photoshop and I'm having a heck of a time.

My current issue: I have a opportunity to have my sports photos published in the local newpaper, but in order to do this I have to be able to send them over with "cutlines" or captions. I've tried dilligently to figure this out and I can't. I'm sure it's something simple, but I can't figure it out. I'm currently using the "cloud" version of PS and LR. Are these the correct programs? I apologize in advance for my ignorance, but I'm at my witts end. Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 04, 2016 Jan 04, 2016

The easiest way to do this would be to add the caption as metadata.

To do this, go to File > File info, and enter the information in the Description field under the Basic tab.

The editor would of course need to view the image in an application that can read the metadata - it would be easily available in for instance Bridge or ACDSee, and he could of course view it in Photoshop as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cary Hayes,

In Photoshop, there are several ways to add captions. You could even place the text directly over part of the image down at the bottom. However, it is better to create a white border onto which you can place the caption.

• Load the images that you want to add captions to onto your computer, either by copying them from a computer or other digital storage device, or by scanning them in. Save them all to the same folder.
  • Open Photoshop. Select "File" from the menu and choose "Open." In the dialog that appears, go to the folder you saved your images to and open it. Open the first one you want to add captions to.
  • Select "Image" from the menu and choose "Canvas Size." In the dialog that appears, go to the "Anchor" section and click the top middle arrow. Increase the height of the document by the number of pixels you want for the height of the caption area. Click "OK."
  • Select the "Type" tool from the toolbar. Select the font type and size that you want for the options at the top.
  • Use the mouse to drag a text box over the caption area and type in your caption. Save your work.

Regards

Sarika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!

How do I create the white box? As the Editor does not want the text to be directly on the photo, rather, he wants it underneath.

I'll need to list the players in the photo as well as my name.

Does that make sense? Hopefully I'm explaining it correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to increase the size of the canvas to get the white box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The easiest way to do this would be to add the caption as metadata.

To do this, go to File > File info, and enter the information in the Description field under the Basic tab.

The editor would of course need to view the image in an application that can read the metadata - it would be easily available in for instance Bridge or ACDSee, and he could of course view it in Photoshop as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines