Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to change colors in color overlays globally

Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2017 Jul 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody!

First of all, we have a huge file structure here in wich we need to change colors globally. But here's the catch:

There are like 10 main psd files which contain (and share) hundreds of smart objects. These psd files as well as the smart objects contain lots of layer compositions so its very very complex. We now have to change about six basic colors (focus/highlight colors) that are spreaded deep in layers/ layer comps.

Lets say theres a layer A. The objects themselves are always white. However, they contain 6 different color overlays with only one visible at a time. With layer compositions we determine the visible color.

We desperately try to find a way to change all these six colors (created as color overlays) without having to touch every layer and layer compositions.

So far, my online research wasn't successful and it seems like need to approach this with a script. Since we dont have any experience with PS scripts, we wanted to ask the community for possible solutions!

Any help is appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2017 Jul 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I script will only be able to help if all your PSD have a consistent design structure and the Smart object layers do not have  colors the were effected by your color overlay.  For Photoshop renders Pixels the object when the layer is created and the pixels are locked. If your all you PSD  have unique design that does not conform to some structured design.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2017 Jul 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide a more meaningful description including screenshots to illustrate the Layer and File structure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2017 Jul 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Big thanks for your replies so far!

Since this is an ongoing work project and we signed a non-disclosure agreement, i cant provide any screenshots of the layer structures... However i can try to explain it a little further.

(I leave out any unnecessary things like connected smart objects that wont have to be changed)

Basically what we need is a script (or another way) to change color A to B within all layer compositions (around 80 on avg).

In Detail:

In our PSD files theres is a varying amount of layers that need to be changed. EVERY layer that needs to be changed is a vector shape whose colors are ALWAYS defined in color overlays. However, the amount of color overlays and effects of an object can vary)

These layers appear in a various amount of layer compositions in different states. Some layer effects are visible, others not (not sure if that info is important)

As for the file structure:
The layers that are to be edited are in varying depths of groups. Connected smart objects dont have to be taken into consideration since we would simply open every smart object/psd file and run the script)

So all we need is a script that finds certain color values (hex or rgb) and replaces them in all  layer compositions. So without knowing howe a script could work, here's what i think would be valuable to specify what to look for. The script should:

->find vector shapes with layer effects in all layer compositions->then check for color overlays

->if certain value (one of the colors that need to be changed), replace with new color.

Does that sound realistic/doable? Do u need further information? Do u know anyone who could make these scripts?
Thank you so much for for your assistance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

This may not apply to your current structure but I was thinking about the issue of Global colours. Illustrator allows you to set global colours and these change throughout the document. Photoshop does not. But there is a bit of a workaround.

I created a group with the colors as solid color fill layers and converted each to a smart object. I then duplicated the smart object each time I wanted to use that color fill layer. Turning of the "color" group made the originals invisible.

Now to change a color fill globally all I had to do was change the appropriate Color fill within the master in the "group colors" folder. Save it and the copy's all changed with it.

This may help anyone building a structure in a similar way

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave!

Thanks a lot for your help in this. We already considered this method with using smart objects so future changes would be editable pretty quickly. In our case however, we would need to make all these changes first which would be very time consuming since theres a lot to change and we'd like to avoid that. But we keep this solution in mind in case theres no other.

Again, thanks a lot for your contribution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RemmiDemmi  wrote

Big thanks for your replies so far!

Since this is an ongoing work project and we signed a non-disclosure agreement, i cant provide any screenshots of the layer structures... However i can try to explain it a little further.

Since you can not disclosure your exact design and example documents you need to look for a member of you team with programming skills and Photoshop knowledge the is capable of designing an automated process to automate what you want to do. About all we can do is point you to Adobe Photoshop Scripting documentation and also note you will also most likely need to use some action manager code you will need to install Adobe Scriptlistener plg-in to get that code. Photoshop Javascripting is limited. The Photoshop JavaScripting development environment does not have many tools like  Browser javascript developers have access to.   Many develop for the web Photoshop scripting is limited.  Adobe Photoshop Scripting | Adobe Developer Connection

If your design does not have a common design structure in all your PSD an automated process may not be possible....

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi JJMack,

thanks for your reply, much appreciated!

yeah i was trying to find someone who could possibly help here without success, one of our frontend developer said that it would be possible to do with a bit of reading into it and referring to the documentation but he has no resources to help atm. For now we consider to find a freelancer who can write a script for us. I will keep in mind that action manager code will be needed, thanks for sharing that valuable info with me! U did help a lot

All the best to you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines