How to change default options in saving a jpeg?

Explorer ,
Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I did "save as" on a jpg, it always used to default to the previous quality setting I had used, in the jpeg options image quality pop-up box. I want to always use 12, which always came up bacause I had used it on the last save. Recently it started defaulting to 5. I changed it to 12; the next save (new image) went back to 5. I changed it again to 12 on the next new image, then restarted photoshop, the next save went back to 5. I can't find anyplace in "preferences" to specify my preferred value. How do I fix this? 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to change default options in saving a jpeg?

Explorer ,
Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I did "save as" on a jpg, it always used to default to the previous quality setting I had used, in the jpeg options image quality pop-up box. I want to always use 12, which always came up bacause I had used it on the last save. Recently it started defaulting to 5. I changed it to 12; the next save (new image) went back to 5. I changed it again to 12 on the next new image, then restarted photoshop, the next save went back to 5. I can't find anyplace in "preferences" to specify my preferred value. How do I fix this? 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 24, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, jpeg compression defaults to whatever that particular file was last saved with.

You do know that a jpeg is degraded with each new save, and that the degradation is cumulative and non-reversible? Resaving a jpeg should always be avoided if at all possible.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 24, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working with files that haven't been saved before (except by the camera, and I just tried taking 2 photos at different camera resolutions, and they both wanted to save as a 5; also I've been taking photos with this camera and its same settings for weeks, and this problem just cropped up yesterday). Each photo is getting only a single edit, so the degradation isn't an issue, and they're going on the web, so need to be jpgs for that.

It just has always been my experience that it saved at the last quality I used, even on some other picture, and I was so used to the saving process not having any other adjustment steps in it. I know I can change the quality each time I save a photo, but I'd rather be able to get a default somehow.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 24, 2020 0