• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to choose folder to import presets from?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I apologize in advance for my silly question. When I want to import some presets  as gradients, for instance, I'm redirected to

User>appdata>roaming>Adobe>Photoshop2020>Presets>Gradients

But I wonder if it's possible to stock my own gradients or others in a different folder and to  have a way to make Photoshop go to import them from there.

Sorry for sounding confused, but English is not my mother tongue, although I use Photoshop in English version. I undersand perfectly, but when I have to explain techinical matters, I don't find always the right words.

If I download new gradients, for example, it would be much easier for me to keep them in a foder in my documents, which would be of easier access for me than

User>appdata>roaming>Adobe>Photoshop2020>Presets>

Once I used to add my new preset tool, like brushes and everything directly   in 

Program files>Adobe>photoshop>presets, but now I don't know why, if the files added there doesn't work for Photoshop, which accept only the files from

User>appdata>roaming>Adobe>Photoshop2020>Presets>Gradients

Thank you in advance for your help

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if this helps: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preset-migration.html

If you want this in your own language, tell me what it is and I'll try to find it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, Gener7, for your prompt reply. As for the language, no problem, English is fine for me. I have Windows 10 in English and Photoshop 2020 in English and I'm comfortable like that. It's only when I have to explain anything technical  that I might sound a bit confusing.

I read the article you gave me the link to, but it seems to me that it's not exactly about what I need to know. I don't want to migrate my presetsfrom a computer to another one. I want to know how to choose, if it's possible the folder where I keep Photoshop 2020 presets. At present they are in

User>appdata>roaming>Adobe>Photoshop2020>Presets

But it's not that handy to go always to appdata if I want to add a custom preset item. I thought thta maybe there was a way to choose a separate folder where Photoshop can go to import them. My question is:

Is it possible to select the location of the folder from which Photoshop import  preset item?

Thank you again

PS I tried preset manager, but I could not find the way to change the  folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

User>appdata>roaming>Adobe>Photoshop2020>Presets>FolderName are User's user ID application folder for users Dat related  to an Application in this case it looks like it Photoshop 2020 presets.  Adobe Set  up these folders for users normally most are empty.   You can use these to save presets you create or inport for Photoshop.   One windows Adobe would create 

"C:\Users\(your user id)\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Presets\(preset type)\" 

You are not required to use these folders for you presets.  I do not use Adobe Create folders for my presets.   I store mines Folders I create and maintain.  I use my presets in all version of Photoshop I install and I do not loose my presets. For Adobe does not know where my presets are so Adobe can not reset or delete my presets.   There are many  sources you can import Photoshop presets from and you can create your own... Keep them safe.  When you add preset to photoshop add or edit actions to the action palette be sure also to save these to your folders so you do not loose them should  Adobe reset your preferences where loads actions, styles, brushes, etc are stored for the active version of Photoshop.  Save then also into your folders.  Should Adobe reset your preferences back to Adobe defaults you can load your added stuff back into Photoshop.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you JJMack. I apologize, but I'm not sure to fully understand. I definitely agree with you thta it's a good idea to keep in a different folder from the one automatically create by Adobe. But my problem is that when I open Photoshop2020 and I want to import my presets to use them, the program ( Photoshop)  doeasn't give me the chance to go to my folder, but goes directly to the default folder User>appdata>roaming>Adobe>Photoshop2020>Presets>FolderName and I don't know how to import my presets if they are not in that folder, but in my separate one.

What I cannot do is changing the preference to make Photoshop import from a different folder, not only from

User>appdata>roaming>Adobe>Photoshop2020>Presets>FolderName.

Thank you so much if you can explain me how to solve my problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

JJMack, I deeply apologize, I'm a very stupid, very stupid person! I have found the way to select another folder when I want to import my presets.

I'm angry with myself and I thank you for your patience. It was so simple and I was so stupid indeed. 

Thank you again. I have understood now.

All the best to you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines