Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to crop a photo to remove the middle part

Jun 17, 2013 Jun 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I crop a photo so that I can keep the sides of the photo but remove the middle part.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2013 Jun 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do what you want but its not a crop.   Its more like punching a whole in the middle of an image or a layer.  The punch can be destructive or a non destructive clipping mask.

For example here I populated a collage template.   Select all seven layers and converted them into a smart object layer added a layer mask to punch a hole in the middle. Resized for the web and saved this png. The document still contains the full collage in fact all n layers are still intact in the smart layer's embedded object. Click on it to see the hole in it.

HolePunched.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I'm looking to crop out the middle and put the sides together, rather than punching a hole in the middle. Is there a reverse crop feature available? Whereby I can crop the part I don't want, rather than crop the part I want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do not want to crop.  Sound more like you want to cut and paste and move areas.

CutAndPaste.jpg

crop (krp)

n.

a. Cultivated plants or agricultural produce, such as grain, vegetables, or fruit, considered as a group: Wheat is a common crop.

b. The total yield of such produce in a particular season or place: an orchard that produced a huge crop of apples last year.

2. A group, quantity, or supply appearing at one time: a crop of new ideas.

3. A short haircut.

4. An earmark on an animal.

a. A short whip used in horseback riding, with a loop serving as a lash.

b. The stock of a whip.

6. Zoology

a. A pouchlike enlargement of a bird's gullet in which food is partially digested or stored for regurgitation to nestlings.

b. A similar enlargement in the digestive tract of annelids and insects.

v. cropped, crop·ping, crops

v.tr.

a. To cut or bite off the tops or ends of: crop a hedge; sheep cropping grass.

b. To cut (hair, for example) very short.

c. To clip (an animal's ears, for example).

d. To trim (a photograph or picture, for example).

a. To harvest: crop salmon.

b. To cause to grow or yield a crop.

v.intr.

1. To feed on growing grasses and herbage.

2. To plant, grow, or yield a crop.

Phrasal Verb:

crop up

To appear unexpectedly or occasionally: "one of the many theories that keep cropping up in his story" (Christopher Lehmann-Haupt).

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 22, 2013 Jun 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah sorry. I would like to cut and paste photos similar to the one in your example.  How can I do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2013 Jun 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lot depends on the image. I chose this one for its easy for it has a solid white background. I selected middle character. Did edit cut, to delete it. Then did the same to the left one. Follow that with a edit past to paste it in as a new layer the can be moved. Changed the layer's blending mode to multiply.

ez.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2017 Mar 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You posted this 4 years ago.. i just used this. thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What program is this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2019 Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to use Snagit, a screen capture tool, and it had a center crop function which I used all the time. It would be awesome if Photoshop and Illustrator could add something like that. You'd use the selection tool to say how much of the middle your wanted gone and it would remove the selection and pull the two sections together so that they meet either with an effect (torn edge or fade) or as if nothing was there. It was great for reducing unwanted white space or hiding sensitive information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2019 Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Window 10 you do not even need an external program like  Snagit to capture part of your desktop....

Windows 10 provides several ways of capturing screen contents.

1.  PrntScrn key to capture an image of the whole screen

2.  Ctrl-PrntScrn** key combination to capture an image of the whole screen, [including any visible right-click context menu]

3.  Alt-PrntScrn key combination to capture an image of the active window.

4.  Win-Shift-S [Windows 10 Ver 1703] - this captures a user-selectable area of the screen to the clipboard

5.  The Snipping Tool [Windows 7 onwards] - this captures a user-selectable area of the screen and allows it to be saved as a graphics file

** If your keyboard's PrntScrn key has two jobs then you may need to press the Fn key as well -> Fn-PrntScrn.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines