Highlighted

How to flip partial text without converting or rasterizing?

New Here ,
Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am making a working template that needs constant updating. To make the process more efficient I need to make a line of text that I can edit, that has one character (at the end) permanently flipped. If I rasterize or convert it will do the entire line or need a new layer, that, even when linked doesn't move with the original line when it's edited. Is there a workaround? 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to flip partial text without converting or rasterizing?

New Here ,
Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am making a working template that needs constant updating. To make the process more efficient I need to make a line of text that I can edit, that has one character (at the end) permanently flipped. If I rasterize or convert it will do the entire line or need a new layer, that, even when linked doesn't move with the original line when it's edited. Is there a workaround? 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 29, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you place that character on it's own text layer and move it accordingly.  I have no other solution, sorry.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 29, 2020 0
Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 8.26.31 PM.png

If I rasterize or convert it will do the entire line or need a new layer,

Not necessarily. Rasterize the type, Select the last letter, then Edit > Transform > Flip Horizontal. Use the Move tool to postion the letter with greater precision. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 29, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, I don't understand. My aim is to minimise the amount of steps. Can you please explain how this works? Is part of the text layer rasterized and moves in sync as you edit the rest of the text? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2020 0
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you can accomplish your task using cloned smart objects? This technique requires that your text is always same length but you can find and some other solution along the way. Here is idea:

• Type text on type layer then convert it to Smart Object.
  • Duplicate Smart Object using Ctrl/Cmd + J. That will create cloned smart object. When you update content on any of cloned objects Ps will automatically update parent/child SO layer. Transformations does not count, any transformation and masking is individual.
  • Mask parent SO layer to hide last letter.
  • Transform child or duplicated SO layer so letters appear as you want them: flipped.
  • Mask all text beside last letter on duplicated SO layer.
  • Double click parent SO layer and change text.
  • If you expect to have different length of text then try with allignment options or try to align right side of text to guide or document edge. It is not perfect but I can not think better solution at the moment. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2020 0