How to prevent Photoshop from changing swatches?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the black/white swatches a lot (to draw masks, etc.). As I work, Photoshop seems to remember the swatch configuration for the layer I work on. This is extremely annoying since I can't just set the swatches and leave them there, then flip among layers knowing what my swatch is set to. Now, each time I switch to a different layer, I have to check to make sure Photoshop didn't flip the swatches on me. Is there a way to disable this behavior?

This seems more appropriate for LR, which tries to be smarter than you. PS used to not try to outsmart the user.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Advocate ,
Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure - PS switching colors depends on selected layer

Probably your problem is when you select layer mask or just layer

Working with mask click on mask thimbnali. Clicking layer thumbnail switching colors to previous colors. Working only with masks allow you to use only black and white

maski.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Guy_T_ AUTHOR
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, if I paint in black on a mask, then click on a different layer, the swatches get reset. I want to disable this behavior. I want my swatches to stay what they are until I decide to change them.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Photoshop remembers a foreground and background colour for normal layers and a separate set of two grays for mask painting.

You can set either to full black and white by pressing the D key on your keyboard and swap foreground and background with the X key

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Guy_T_ AUTHOR
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dave. Yes, this is the behavior I want to disable. I want the swatches to always stay as I set them and not change when I switch between layers, masks, etc. This used to be the default behavior. Not sure when it changed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the way Dave describes it is how it always worked - at least as far as my memory goes. Pixel data and mask data have separate sets of swatches, each is remembered separately.

That's the way it has to be, if you want color pixel swatches to be remembered at all.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Guy_T_ AUTHOR
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Photoshop since 1993. For a long time, PS would never change swatches from what you set them to (if I remember correctly, you could even paint masks in color, and their effect would be calculated based on their lightness).

Your last line is what I'm after. I don't want swatches (in the toolbar) to be remembered at all. I want them to stay as I set them.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Guy+T.  wrote

I don't want swatches (in the toolbar) to be remembered at all. I want them to stay as I set them.

You see the contradiction in that, don't you?

But yes. It could be done the way you want it. If you already have a color swatch, and you then target a mask, the swatch could change into its luminosity component. And then switch back when you target pixel data.

The question is, would it make sense? Would it be logical? Personally I don't think so. I suppose it goes to show that you can't make everybody happy at the same time.

Post a feature request in the feedback forum.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Guy_T_ AUTHOR
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are missing my question. I don't want the swatch to "switch back" to anything under any circumstances. I want it to always stay the same, unless I change it. If I have it set to black or white, or some shade of neutral gray, there is no reason for PS to change it when I switch between pixels and masks since black/white/gray may be used on either.

Seems odd to request a feature that used to be the default behavior. In the past, PS would rarely change/remove features (I assume to remain compatible with users' workflows), even if newer/better ones are added.

Either way, I'm getting the sense that the answer is that what I want is not currently possible.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Like D.Fosse, I can't remember it working any differently nor would I want to change it.  However, I understand that we all work differently. You can make a feature request at the link below:

Photoshop Family Customer Community

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To create our custom swatch set, let's first delete all of the color swatches that are currently in the Swatches palette. Don't worry, they won't be gone for good, as we'll see a bit later on. Switch over to your Swatches palette, which by default is grouped in with the Color and Styles palettes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Guy_T_ AUTHOR
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My question is not about the swatch palette, it's about the swatches in the tool panel.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @Guy_T_ 

I feel your frustration so much. When I press the shortcut \ to show the mask it will sometimes change the swatch colour to the opposite of what I had it as so I'm constantly having to undo and redo a mask that I've already done.

I feel like everyoone who has tried to answer your question hasn't really understood your issue. 

I haven't found a solution myself, I found this forum in pursuit of an answer and reading the responses was very dismaying. Considering how customizable PS is you'd think this would be an easy fix/not happen at all.

Huge oversight in my opinion.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines