How to stop adding " copy" to file names?

Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, I don't mind the save as a copy feature. If I have a psd file with layers and smart objects and such, and I Save As > JPG, I don't want the jpg open, I want the psd open. I like how PS does that behavior, but I don't like how that jpg gets " copy" added to it's file name. Yes it's easy to remove, but I'm using a batch action on over 300 pictures, I don't feel like renaming 300 jpg's. Yes it's supposed to be a safety net, but I basically never work from jpg's as original's, and if for some reason I do, I set them as read only and copy the files off to a safe location, so I don't need it.

I know it's possible because my old school's computers with photoshop CS5 never saved jpg's with copy in the file name. So, how do I stop PS CS5 from adding copy to my file names? Because I need photoshop to not add copy to my file names on my work computer (and it's my old school, can't use their computers or ask someone why it's like that).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My solution is to let PS add the word 'copy' to the filename because that's just what it wants to do by default.  Then go into the folder in Bridge - select all the files with 'copy' appended to the filename - right click and choose 'Batch Rename.  Choose Preset: 'String Substitution'.  Under 'New Filenames', Find: " copy" (with the space) and leave the 'Replace with:' blank.  Check the preview down the bottom of the window and you'll see that the word copy is removed.  Yay!!!

I am running Windows 7 but assume this will work in any OS.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens to me when I record an action in an open .psd file to save as .jpg in another folder, and then close the .psd file.

The first one (recorded) works without adding "copy" at the end of the file name.

But if I replay the action on other .psd files, then it adds the "copy" string at the end and it doesn't add the ".jpg" extension too... pretty weird.

I managed to make it work by recording the action once and then using the File > Automation > Batch... for all the other files using these properties:

Action: your recorded action for saving .jpg

Source: open files

Destination: folder (choose yours)

"Override action "save as" command": checked

Filename: default (file name and extension)

Hope it helps!

Kudos

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great!  That works for me.  Thanks for finding this solution to the issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no way to save a JPEG file as 16-bit because the format doesn't support 16-bit. So before you save your 16-bit images as jpg you have to convert them to 8-bit....easy

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So...   I've been outputting a load of images in preparation for web use.  And I know that this " copy" annotation occurs, there's no bug, it just happens whenever I save down anything to a single layer file using the Batch Automate command.  Today I needed to output a load of files for a web project, so file names needed to be exact.  After a quick google, I came across this discussion...  and quickly decided that the quickest way to do this was using an external program to rename the files, instead of spending hours giong through options and menu's and testing different methods in Photoshop.

I used the batch automate to convert a folder full of PSD's, Jpg's, PNG's and TIFF's into a folder full of JPG's - all with the " copy" added onto the file name.  I downloaded and ran "Bulk Rename Utility" (google it if you want it, comes straight up), selected the folder, typed " copy" into the Find section, and left the Replace With section blank...

Hey presto!  I had quickly and easily corrected all my filenames, without any scripting, timewasting, photoshop-menu-digging etc!!

I know it's not exactly the answer to the problem, but it's another way around it and I thought I'd recommend it as a simple, easy, and pretty much fail-safe solution to this problem.  Hope it helps.

Tom

Regards, 5Diraptor - "If the design isn't about the dream, it's meaningless"

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After clicking clicking File > Automate > Batch... look for a checkbox inside the Batch dialog box that says 'Override Action "Save As" Commands', make sure this checkbox is activated. Now even though there's a Save As step within your action (which was necessary for you to specify that the file be saved as a jpeg) it will just be saved and the old file will be updated and saved with whatever steps were in your action.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, let me apologize if I missed someone else posting this same answer. Depending on your workflow, a reasonable workaround, albeit not a real solution, is to create and output your modified files to a sub-folder (created first by hand). With the copy option unchecked, the action will output files with their original names without "copy" appended. After processing you can then select and copy them back to your original working folder.

...Barry

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines