• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to turn a square into a circle or a rounded corner square automatically?

New Here ,
Oct 02, 2012 Oct 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I have read old threads and similar questions and found part answers including an illustratir action that doesn't work in CS4 and after. Apologies if I have missed other relevant answers.

Here is a descrition of what I would like to achieve. I have all kinds of shapes - either rectangular or square - in a drawing in phtoshop. Note that some of the shapes are not entirelly filles (do they're like a thick stroked line in a rectangular shape. I want to "round" each shape to a different extent, from giving a shappe rounded corners to making it totally round or oval (respectively for a square of rectangle of course).

So I want to select each shape in turn and apply a degree of "rounding" to each shape individually. Since there are many such shapes, I am looking to automate the process save for the parameter that defines the amount of rounding.

I suppose what I am asking is whether anyone knows of an Action that does just that. Failing that, could someone tell me how I can do this manually and I will try to write an action thereafter.

THank you for your help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Oct 02, 2012 Oct 02, 2012

Hi RoboChris,

Rather than write out all the steps, I created a video that I think will help:

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a few ways to do this although none of them are both easy or precise.

The first thing to find out is what kind of shapes they are.

Look at your Layers panel.

What are the objects on? Is it a Shape Layer like the Rectangle layer in the following image? Or is it a regular layer as in the second layer in the following image?

layers panel with shape layer.png

If it's a shape layer, you'll need to use Illustrator. But it won't be simple.

If it's a regular layer you can do it in Photoshop, but it won't be easy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sandee,

Right now, it's just a PS regular layer. The shapes are all squares and rectangles. I either select them all with a colour selection, which I don't want because I want to edit most shapes individually, or simply with the magic wand since they're easyto isolate. If i need to convert to shape layers, that's fine by me: it is the rest of the process that baffles me.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer Sandee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RoboChris,

Rather than write out all the steps, I created a video that I think will help:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's incredible...and so fast! I'm off to watch it. Thanks a bunch Sandee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines