Highlighted

Import color library to CS6

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not just trying to make a swatch library, I'm trying to make a color book similar to that of Pantone, etc for internal use at our screen printing shop. I want to be able to use the eyedropper tool to auto-select colors, but limit the library to maybe 200 Pantones so that we're not overwhelming the ink dept.

I can make ACB files on this website: AutoCAD Color Book Editor

But when I drop them in C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\Presets\Color Books they do not automatically integrate into the color libraries dropdown.

Is this even possible, or is it a pipe dream?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Import color library to CS6

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not just trying to make a swatch library, I'm trying to make a color book similar to that of Pantone, etc for internal use at our screen printing shop. I want to be able to use the eyedropper tool to auto-select colors, but limit the library to maybe 200 Pantones so that we're not overwhelming the ink dept.

I can make ACB files on this website: AutoCAD Color Book Editor

But when I drop them in C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\Presets\Color Books they do not automatically integrate into the color libraries dropdown.

Is this even possible, or is it a pipe dream?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to load them manually. If you upgrade, libraries will make this much easier. No more fussing with swatches outside of the apps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by "load them manually"? Thanks for the reply!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create your own palette and save it and then load it in manually...

in the swatches flyout menu...2019-04-18_12-13-41.png

Create Custom Photoshop Color Swatches and Sets

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yeah, but then I can't use these with the eyedropper tool to have it automatically select the closest swatch like I would a Pantone Book. That's my main goal.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm telling' ya... libraries will change your life. Upgrade... you can use the eye dropper to select swatches in your libraries. And, you can share your libraries, so everyone can access the same set of swatches in the same library.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha I wish it were that easy. Unfortunately, my boss isn't interested in upgrading to the subscription platform since we have 6+ computers that run photoshop.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So we actually upgraded to CC. I figured out how to make color themes in my libraries but I'm limited to only 5 colors and still not sure how to use them with the eyedropper when choosing Pantones for our customer supplied art. Any advice or links to articles explaining what you were saying?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Color Book format (.ACB) is intended only for those companies that actually make Color Books. That's why Adobe has not released the acb spec to customers. The autocad color book editor likely makes files incompatible with Adobe's spec. But just to check, drop them in your Color Book folder under Presets. Edit: No, Adobe does not recognize it. It's just meant for Autocad.

What you might do is to make a swatch library (.aco file) sampling the chosen colors from the Pantone library and labeling each color with the Pantone number. They should have the books and ink mixing guides on their side. You can import those into Photoshop CS6.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Know any software that I can make an .aco with?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, I only know how to make .ase files

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty simple to make custom .aco libraries in Photoshop.

Edit menu > Presets > Preset Manager > Swatches   You will then proceed to select all and delete the current swatches:

Shift-click on the first one, then the last one to get all swatches.  Click on Delete and then click on Done

Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 11.29.26 AM.png

You  now have a blank Swatches panel. Add and name the colors you want in there: Use the eyedropper on a image or use the color picker.

Panel menu

Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 11.32.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 11.35.27 AM.png

When done, choose "Save Swatches" from the Panel menu in the upper right corner.

It's then saved as an .aco and is added to the swatch list.

Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 11.39.19 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotcha, then is there a way to get them to register in this dropdown?

pantones.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. Those are Adobe Color Books (.acb). Check post 7 for why you cannot create and import those.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yay for upgrading! You will love it, I promise. Colors in libraries - themes are limited to 5 colors each. You can also save individual color swatches. You can just leave the library panel popped open and use your eyedropper to pick a color while you are working. I don't have an article or video to point you to, but if I have time and you need it, I might be able to make a quick video for you. Try it and let me know.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh...I meant I want to use the eyedropper to select a color from my artwork and have it automatically choose the closest swatch. (like it does with pantones)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way that I am aware of where that is possible.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Lou0D4D LATEST
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello! just wondering if you were able to resolve this? As I am having the same problem. I recently purchased a Skintone Guide Pantone, I then exported the book to photoshop using the Pantone Color Manager, but I can't see it in the drop down list in the color library when I use the color picker tool. Thank you!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines