• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to recover an open and unsaved PSD file if autosave was turned off?

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

I've been working on a very long term project in Photoshop for months and only saving occasionally because I simply trusted that autosave had my back if anything happened. Well, my macbook crashed for the first time in months, and I go to the open recent files to find nothing recovered from the crash. I check my file handling and somehow auto save was turned off (though I've no memory of doing this). Nothing in the library of autosave files either. It had been nearly two weeks since my last actual command+S save and easily 10-20 hours worth of work. I did, however, do a Time Machine backup a couple days ago. Is there any way to recover from that? Or is there any way to recover that work otherwise? Or am I screwed?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did, however, do a Time Machine backup a couple days ago. 

If you do have Time Machine running you probably will be able to recover the file when it was existing saved on a previous date or before that date.  

First, choose your Finder and locate the folder that stores that file. Highlight it.

Choose Time Machine and current files in that folder will be displayed. 

On the right are previous dates.

Select one of the previous dates, perhaps a date of a couple of days before now. Click on it and the files in the folder on that date will be displayed….including your lost file. Click on the file. 

Down at the bottom of the file display choose Restore.

The file will appear in your current folder.

Job done.

If the missing file does not show up on your chosen date, choose earlier dates. Good luck.

One more bit of advice: Save often but NOT with the same file name.  Use this sequence "filename_1", "filename_2" and so on. In that way, if your current file goes south, you have an earlier version of the file available. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines