• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a keyboard shortcut to pick the background color when using the brush tool?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of my brushes dynamically use both the foreground and background colors. It is super quick to select the foreground color by alt clicking, but I haven't found a quick way to select the background also.  It would be great if we could shift-alt click for the background color. Is it possible to make a keyboard shortcut to select the background color in addition to the foreground color? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

You could spring-load the Eyedropper Tool by pressing (and keeping pressed) I and then with alt pick up the background color. 

On releasing the I-key the Brush Tool should still be selected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could spring-load the Eyedropper Tool by pressing (and keeping pressed) I and then with alt pick up the background color. 

On releasing the I-key the Brush Tool should still be selected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a great tip! Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would still love to be able to alt-shift click for the background (while in the brush tool). It is a tiny bit faster and less awkward, and every bit of efficiency adds up over time.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The modifier for the Eyedropper Tool to select the background color is alt and double-alt does not work out. 

Maybe you could change the single-key-shortcut for the Eyedropper Tool to a key closer to the alt-key? (A dubious work-around for a small improvement admittedly …) 

Some Photoshop keyboard shortcuts cannot be edited by users so far – which some people consider to be an annoyance, so maybe you want to add a comment and/or your vote to threads on the issue or post a specific Feature Request: 

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/azerty-keyboard-shortcut-for-backslash-show-a...

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/alt-shortcuts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, personally I find the keyboard shortcut limitations to be annoying, especially after using 3D packages like Maya where basically every key and modifier is customizable.  ( Oh, and can we have pie menus too?)  Anyway, yes, I guess all I can do is request the feature.  Thanks again for your help.  Your method is probably the best currently available.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines