Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LAG when ALT-Clicking to sample - Clone Stamp and Healing Brush

Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
Using the healing brush and the clone stamp tool with "show overlay" activated introduces a small but inconsistent lag when pressing the alt key to change the sample.

With "show overlay" deactivated, this lag is not there and the change from brush to sampler is instantaneous.

For professionals who work fast this is very annoying. Alt-clicking sometimes result in correct sampling, but other times it results in a small unintended brush stroke followed by a couple of undos, to then start again.

Photoshop CC 22.0.1
Windows 10
Intuos Pro L (driver 6.3.41-1)

i9-9900K
32Gb RAM
RTX 2080ti (latest drivers)

Thanks

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. When I go full screen with no toolbars the issue with clone stamp and healing brush stops. I am not wanting to work in full screen, but that is the only solution I have found. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue continues in 22.1
Disabling "show overlay" is still the only practical solution to eliminate sampling lag with the cloning tool and healing brish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or maybe not. Still testing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nah still there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue continues in 22.1
Disabling "show overlay" is still the only practical solution to eliminate sampling lag with the cloning tool and healing brish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly even in my case that only partially fixes the issue. This occurs on the mixer brush as well and liquify. It seems like anything that is more GPU intenstive it just lags. Even when you're working in a small radius. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case the problem may be a different one. Try using PSAssistant to disable the alt key triggering the application menus. 
https://www.deviantart.com/millionart/art/Adobe-Photoshop-assistant-160950828Ç
Scroll down to find the download button.
Tell the program the location of the photoshop executable and keep the program running along with photoshop. Make sure you activate the "disable alt menu" option in the hotkey section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, I think that actually worked. I did notice that VirusTotal flags the application, but sadly it appears it does work. The lag was being caused by the Alt menu pulling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's probably a false positve beacuse the way that program works. A lot of people use it. I use it. It solves 50% of the alt-click dilemma.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

NEW FINDING
So I confirm that the issue persists in 22.1.0 version. Disabling "show overlay" is still the only workaround.
Now I have found that this problem only appears at high zoom levels. If you zoom out, alt clicking shows no lag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines