• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Latest update to Photoshop (to version 22.4.1) will not allow drag & drop on Windows 10 pro O/S!

Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Folks,

(BTW: My O/S is Windows 10 64-bit and fully up to date and the PS version I had just before the update worked fine😞

I've been using PS since 2001, so I'm not new to it by any stretch of the imagination. Two days ago, I went ahead and allowed PS to run an update. Typically, I disable auto updates and update as I need to manually.

I don't fix something that's not broken and for my purposes, I didn't need any updates or new options in PS. However, two nights ago, I was in the middle of something and just happened to trigger Win 10's "check your siftware for updates" option.

Of course, I didn't pay close enough attention to what it was going to do and that was a big mistake. I quickly found out that I can no longer drag & drop ANY of my image files, (jpg, tiff, psd, etc.) onto the workspace of Photoshop. Pleasde note that I CAN drag & drop any of those files to any of my non-Adobe image software.

This seems to be specifically a Photoshop issue and I didn't make any changes in the preferences before this problem started. The previous version worked fine with D&D so I have to guess that the latest 22.4.1 version has something 'new' that doesn't like how I have my system configured.

THE FIXES I'VE TRIED:

I've already tried the "registry fix" that has been posted on YouTube, restarted the computer and that didn't work. 

I went ahead and enabled the "run as administrator" option in the Properties tab, eve though I always open photoshop with a right-click/"run as administrator" procedure anyway.

There doesn't seem to be any other options or ways to address this problem on line, besides those two suggestions.

Adobe Creative Cloud Update removed my stand-alone Acrobat XI Pro as well!

I'm mentioning the loss of my Acrobat Pro as an FYI, but I'm not asking for any suggestions regarding that. I know what I have to do in that case. I'm only asking for help on the Drag & Drop problem. 

In addition, my "legally purchased", stand-alone version of Adobe Acrobat XI Pro, (an independent version from the Creative Cloud DC), has apparently been overwritten and now says that I don't have it on my list of Adobe CC list so I can't use it, (unless I pay for it...).

Therefore, I can't use it... Makes sense, seeing how I never wanted that version, but then, I never told them to upgrade my paid-for version to whatever they upgraded to in the first place.

As soon as I saw that I lost my Acrobat Pro, I went right for the Windows recovery option. Unfortunately, the "programs affected" scan came back and said that the Adobe Acrobat XI Pro would not be successfully reinstalled that way.

A short Rant:

Yes, I'm a bit pissed off because in my past experiences with this sort of thing, I had to jump through hoops and use special 3rd-party software to clean the intruding software out of every nook & crany in my system.

It's exactly that reason that prompted me to disable auto-updates in the first place. I already know that Adobe isn't going to make it any easier for me to recover my version of Acrobat XI Pro than Microsoft did when I inexplicably lost access to my paid-for version of Office a few years back.

All I am sure of is that before I could even hope to get my original Acrobat software to reinstall, (which really is a long-shot), I'll use up several hours messing around only to find that the effort/s will be unsuccessful. In the past, (regarding other payware snafus like this), I may have succeeded once in 5 events.

So yes, I'm not in a very good place because I know what I'm going to be going through in the near future. Well,. that was my 'rant for the month'...

Maybe try full removal and then reinstall?

Anyway, I'm thinking if I can't solve this stupid drag & drop issue, maybe I should just run a super-software-remover/uninstaller and clear the system of all Adobe. 

Then start all over for a not-so-enjoyable few hours of surgically reinstalling the particular Adobe products I signed on and paid for. If anyone has some suggestions regarding the Drag & Drop issue, please let me know and I'll give it a try if I can.

(Please don't concern yourself with the Acrobat XI Pro that I lost, there's only one way to fix that and I already know what I'll have to do there).

Thank you,

Rich

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

UPDATE: I think I know what the problem may be; I disabled Adobe CC in my OS and that may be keeping me from draging and dropping. However, I had it disable before the update to PS, (...I think). Anyway, when I lost my Acrobat XI Pro in this most recent update, I decided to disable it. I may re-enable it and see what happens but I need to think about that for a while. It's already done enough damage in one hour and I need to cool off before I let it go again, (just in case it does another bone-headed thing it wasn't supposed to do).

Rich 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines