• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MacBookPro - Is 16 GB RAM enough for Photoshop?

Engaged ,
Jun 11, 2019 Jun 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am planning on buying a MacBookPro with 500GB SSD and 16GB RAM. I could do 32GB RAM but that's another $400. Any issues with 16GB RAM? Thanks.

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 11, 2019 Jun 11, 2019

Photoshop is mainly bandwidth limited - moving data in and out of memory. But there is never "enough" RAM no matter how much you have installed. More memory is always needed. So Photoshop writes temporary working data to a temp directory on disk - aka the scratch disk. This is the crucial part.

A scratch file is always set up, and whatever RAM you have acts as a fast access cache to the scratch disk's main memory. It's going back and forth in a dynamic process.

The scratch disk used to be a bottl

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

The recommended RAM for Photoshop is 8 GB, So you're goof with 16 GB of RAM. Please have a look at this article to know more about Photoshop's system requirement: Photoshop system requirements

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding. I have already read that article. I want to understand performance vs requirements. Once again, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To put it simply a better configuration always runs smoother.

8 – 16 GB of RAM will be more than enough for most of your tasks when editing JPG Photos in the 10 – 20 MP range and the occasional RAW Images. If you are a power user, that edits mainly in high Bit depths and Resolutions, and might have lots of other RAM intensive Software running in the background, consider 16+ GB of RAM

Also, make sure that you get a compatible Graphics Processor unit, which is essential for Photoshop. You can check this article to know more about the supported GPU's: Photoshop graphics processor (GPU) card FAQ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a mid 2012 MBP and 16GB is the max and I do ok considering the Intel 4000  graphics video ram is shared memory. I can run Mojave on it. I'd recommend dedicated vram.

So here is a article on the 16 vs 32 GB choice, and the answer is a good one.

16GB or 32GB DDR4 ram? | AnandTech Forums: Technology, Hardware, Software, and Deals

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is mainly bandwidth limited - moving data in and out of memory. But there is never "enough" RAM no matter how much you have installed. More memory is always needed. So Photoshop writes temporary working data to a temp directory on disk - aka the scratch disk. This is the crucial part.

A scratch file is always set up, and whatever RAM you have acts as a fast access cache to the scratch disk's main memory. It's going back and forth in a dynamic process.

The scratch disk used to be a bottleneck, and lots of RAM helped speed it up. But with today's ultra fast NVMe SSDs, this isn't really a consideration any more. Just make sure you have enough free space.

Bottom line - 16GB will do just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines