Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing Profile PS CC 2020

Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

With a very good understanding of the difference between Assigning and Converting colour spaces, I have always opened embedded profiles and then converted using Edit - Convert to Profile option.

But now I'm  having trouble understanding when opening an Untagged RGB file one of the options is:

Missing Profile:

Assign Profile (in my case it would Adobe RGB 1998)

and then the check box

and then convert the document to working RGB 

I'm not sure how the colour is transfering from and assigned profile to then be converted to a working RGB?

Please see attachement.

If someone could explain this conversion it would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers,

A.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Thank you.

This was the ansewer I was needing:

1: open an image with no ICC profile embedded.

[as an aside I'll mention that what some find confusing here is that in order to provide a preview on screen Adobe NEED a document profile, so, temporarily, the default working colour space is used (the one set in edit/color settings)]

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If one assigns a profile (or starts with an image that already has its profile embedded) one can convert the image to another Color Space. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this case a plausible scenarion would be: 

Stock images are sometimes/often delievered without profile. 

Generally one can assume the were sRGB originally. 

One may prefer to work in another Color Space, though, like AdobeRGB, eciRGB, ProPhoto, … 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

But now I'm  having trouble understanding when opening an Untagged RGB file one of the options is:

Missing Profile:

Assign Profile (in my case it would Adobe RGB 1998)

and then the check box

and then convert the document to working RGB 

I'm not sure how the colour is transfering from and assigned profile to then be converted to a working RGB?

Please see attachement.

If someone could explain this conversion it would be greatly appreciated. 

I can see that "missing profile" dialog is confusing if you're assigning the default working colour space.

[as an aside I'll mention that what some find confusing here is that in order to provide a preview on screen Adobe NEED a document profile, so, temporarily, the default working colour space is used (the one set in edit/color settings)]

2: Assign

An ICC profile needs to be assigned (and embedded on saving) because the assigned [or embedded] profile gives meaning to the colour numbers in the file. The file values are not changed, just the profile which provides instructions to give meaning to the colour numbers.

Once the profile is assigned your image file is "in" the assigned colour space. In your case Adobe RGB.

Any convert to profile at this stage will use the profile that you assigned as source - converting does change the file values. 

IF you already assigned your working RGB then that’s it, no need to convert to your working RGB so you would un-check that option - it would be a "null" transform. 

I hope this helps

if so, please "like" my reply and if you're OK now, please mark it as "correct", so that others who have similar issues can see the solution

thanks

neil barstow, colourmanagement.net :: adobe forum volunteer

[please do not use the reply button on a message within the thread, only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains chronological order]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you.

This was the ansewer I was needing:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an easy to understand example of when you would do this (I do this often). Say you made a screenshot. You open the screenshot in Photoshop and get the message that the screenshot does not have an embedded profile. Because the screenshot was taken from your screen, an embedded profile would have been your monitor profile. You do not want to work in the monitor profile however, so you assign the monitor profile to the image and then convert it to your working profile.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines