• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Natural Brush Strokes with Pressure in Photoshop?

Participant ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to figure out the best way to get natural-looking brush strokes with pressure in photoshop. I am doing this on my laptop (Photoshop CC 2020).

You can see below that when I using apply pressure sensitivity (for stroking path) and brush settings with pen pressure enabled, I get not so great results---Very thin near ends and thick in the middle.

On the other hand, with no pressure, I get a consistent stroke, but it does not look natural. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks! with pressure sensitivity.jpgwithout pressure.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simualte pressure option in the stroke panel does a good job in "simulation " of the pen pressure . You will not get what you have on your mind with this option.

the workaroung For stroking "path" with variable width is using the width tool in "Illustrator " you can use the pen tool to draw the path, add stroke then you can use the width tool (shift + w) to adjust the width , then copy /past the path back to photoshop .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I tried the Simulate Pressure option...

sim pressure.jpg

But that's how I got the results above.

Right, I'm aware of the Illustrator options, but I'm trying to stay in Photoshop, if possible. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using a Wacom, Huion, Parblo or XP-Pen tablet?

If so that would be a good idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No tablet, Just my Macbook Pro and either my mouse or trackpad....I am trying to see if there's a way to do it well without a pen-based device like a tablet or wacom. thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can stroke paths with a brush and simulate pressure but creating a new path for each brush stroke and then stroking the path would be painfully slow work-flow.  Get a pen.

Capture.jpg

Stroking Paths with simulated pressure works great for some things

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does your Pen's device driver have a feature you can customise the pen feel of Pen pressure? Usind  diffent brusg tip type mat also help 

image.png

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, so I'm just using my mouse/trackpad on my Macbook Pro. Trying to see if I can create natural looking lines without a pen-based device in Photoshop. Thanks1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2020 May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

right this is my dilema also i dont want to invest in a wacom for hella $$ and i dont wanna have to switch between illustrator and PS just to get clean line work! I have been looking into workarounds but there is hardly anything for us without a tablet... If possible i think setting up some sort of auto deleting stroke paths would allow you to use the freeform pen tool to get tapered clean lines in PS but im not sure how to make the freeform pentool auto delete its paths.... did you ever find a work around for this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. Never found a solution. I think we do need the Wacom driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried inklet https://tenonedesign.com/inklet.php which is kind of cool, but, costs $40 and I feel like using it is a little unintuitive, kind of controls my cursor more than I prefer. But, it might work for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines